Bad ground or bad ignition switch?

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
For a few weeks now I've been having a strange problem with my ignition. It started one day when I went to get out of my car and after pulling the keys out I realized the car was still in accessory mode, as if the keys were still in it. I put the keys back in and turned them to "on" then pulled them out again like normal, problem solved. Few days later it happened again. This time simply turning the ignition on and off didnt work and my car stayed in "accessory". The strange part is that sometimes the car flickers between "accessory" and "on" and will even stay "on" though the keys arent in it. Pulling the 15A ECU-IB fuse in the kick panel of the driver side foot-well seems to solve the flickering problem(how I dont know??), though it still wont come out of "accessory". Theres no blown fuses in either fuse box and everything is reading at it's respective voltage. Pulling the ignition switch doesnt stop any of this from happening either. I even pulled it apart and cleaned all the contact points, and put it back together correctly. Is this a case of a bad ground somewhere or could it really just be a faulty ignition switch. I've had to pull the 20A Dome fuse to keep my battery from dying overnight, so now when I pull the key out it cuts all power to the interior.

Any help is appreciated, I've been searching for any thread in any forum for a similar problem and either missed it or havent found one. If any other information is needed just let me know.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
how does your key look? could this be wear to the key/tumbler/end switch plate....

I can't remember right now what the part behind the ignition lock looks like, but sounds like a similar problem I had on my nissan, where the key tip protrudes through lock and the tip engages another switch which was worn into the wrong shape...

p1994846_1.jpg

$(KGrHqVHJEIE+WPz!LynBQSHuo,2-g~~_35.JPG

^check this part for wear/tear and to see the slot shape, if it changed enough it may not go back to the "off: position

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
Thats the iginition switch. I took it out and even apart and it had no wear on it or it in. Contact points on the inside looked new, cleaned them anyway since it was apart.