Anyone run 6x9's for rear speakers?

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
I have the 6.5 pods and run Infinity references in the front, sounds great, but would like a stronger complimenting sound in the back.

I've considered some advice I've read here about doing away with the rear speakers entirely, but after listening to a few songs with the fader adjusted for just fronts playing I immediately questioned that method.

So has anyone run 6x9s in the back? I was thinking boston acoustic 3ways.

Or should I just replace them with better 3.5 and 5.25"s and maybe an amp?

I realize this isnt the audio forum but I'm thinkin this is more of a general inquiry and isn't a technical question about audio

thanks

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Brady;1223743 said:
I have the 6.5 pods and run Infinity references in the front, sounds great, but would like a stronger complimenting sound in the back.

I've considered some advice I've read here about doing away with the rear speakers entirely, but after listening to a few songs with the fader adjusted for just fronts playing I immediately questioned that method.

So has anyone run 6x9s in the back? I was thinking boston acoustic 3ways.

Or should I just replace them with better 3.5 and 5.25"s and maybe an amp?

I realize this isnt the audio forum but I'm thinkin this is more of a general inquiry and isn't a technical question about audio

thanks

3 way for the rear? not such a great idea unless you are planning on riding on a back seat all the time. anything above 5k hz in the back is just #@@!$ in a hatchback. in sedans, maybe, if you are creating a back stage or a dual zone.
What are your trying to compliment in the back? people don't usually listen to anything with their backs facing the source.

You didn't like the just front set up because of you habbit of hearing the music in the car that way. Try to eliminate the rears for a month or two and then turn them on. you'll hear the problems of the sound stage right away. the voice will seem to float around you instead of being in the front.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Brady;1223743 said:

Ummm...what?!?!
Sounds pretty technical to me...don't post in the General section just to get more "traffic" in a thread. Your one and only warning.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Ok, 1st of all this thread can go a million ways on what to do and what not to do... You have to find out waht it is your sound system is missing or you want to improve.. High's? Mid's? Low's?... Normally on our cars wht people have a hard time doing is improving the bass without adding an amp/subwoofers. This problem is due to the small speakers... I am making the assumption you want more thump since you are wanting to go with 6x9's in the back... Right off the bat Ima say if you manage this via custom enclosure on the panels you will still not get a big bass boost... Speakers need air space for this and our cars just dont have a trunk for 6x9's to sound good... If anything I would say maybe fitting 6 1/2's on the back pods might be less trouble and same results... If you are not looking for more bass and just want better sound quality overall then just switch out the speakers for better ones.... Listen to the speakers before you buy, dont go off brand... Pick what you think sounds good...

Brady

Feb 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.nbhq.net
thanks Sside, it was my initial plan to simply replace the stock speakers with better ones cause I feel like toyota must have had some kind of idea what they doing and not just driving to talk up the stereo system as a selling point

what i would most like to improve is stronger bass in the back, as is, even with my nice infinity references in front, it totally sounds like more bass is coming from behind me from the nearly 20 year old stockers.

im hoping speaker technology has improved so much since than that pretty much any replacement speaker i get is gonna blow away the stockers, paired with a nice amp i'm probably good to go amirite?

thank you so much again in advance.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Brady;1224360 said:
thanks Sside, it was my initial plan to simply replace the stock speakers with better ones cause I feel like toyota must have had some kind of idea what they doing and not just driving to talk up the stereo system as a selling point

what i would most like to improve is stronger bass in the back, as is, even with my nice infinity references in front, it totally sounds like more bass is coming from behind me from the nearly 20 year old stockers.

im hoping speaker technology has improved so much since than that pretty much any replacement speaker i get is gonna blow away the stockers, paired with a nice amp i'm probably good to go amirite?

thank you so much again in advance.

No prob man hehe, ma pleasure... Now to improving your bass, 1st of all it would be greatly appriciated to know wht is your budget so we can pin point wht we can work with and what we can knock off the list... Personally for wht you want to do I would hands down go with component 5.25 speakers... In case you dont know, component speakers are speakers devided into two sets... The actual speakers 5.25" will play your mids and Lows. Think of them as small subwoofers that fit right into your oem design from toyota. Next with these speakers come the other set... those are tweeters and they play yours highs... These type of systems devide the sounds for a better sound stage and you can place the tweeters anywere you like. Thing is they are a bit on the expensive side but defently the best option other then subwoofers... With a decent amp these speakers will come alive and give your music a new meaning. With the tweeters you will hear things you prob had not even noticed before.... Worth the investment, I highly recomend Polk brand... If these are a bit too expensive for you let me kno and we can figure something else out :D...

I hate to give you an ebay link but check these out or just search emm yourself around the net till you find a good deal and trustworthy too..

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-POLK-AUDIO-...0|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Another great brand I love is Elemental Design and here is a link straight from they're site not much more expensive then ebay..
http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=0&products_id=49

The elemental design speakers seem to be almost 6" but I think you might be able to make emm work hehe...