Anyone on here ever own/drive the NSX?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
After discussing cars with a buddy of mine here at work, the subject of the NSX came up. To him, that is his lottery car (mine is the F40), and I told him I was happy for him, that he could reasonably afford an NSX. He was rather surprised to find that they can be had for 20-30k all day long anymore.

This got ME thinking... I've always had a soft spot in my heart for a mid engined, high revving, exotic looking/performing car. I remember once upon a time, looking through regret-and-debt-filled glasses, I was looking at the fact I *could* have bought a Mk4. At this same time, I was tossing around the idea of an NSX as well... which brings me to today.

I've done my reading, my homework, research, etc... and while I think the Caterham 7 replica I had intended to build (S2000 powered) would be WAY more extreme, given the area I live in, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the car very much, and I'd likely be run over by an idiot in a truck. Not saying the idea of the 7 is out of my mind (not at all!), but I could live with an NSX I think.

What I'm looking for is some actual owner opinions, from actual enthusiasts. I know I may be reaching out on a limb among this crowd, but I know some of you have driven some pretty badass cars over the years, so I'm thinking at least one of you has something to say on the subject... :)

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I'll get Rob in here (92NSX) guess why he has the username :p He owns a CTS-V, C4 Vette, and an 89 Supra. He has real life comparison abilities :D

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Hmm, now why hadn't I thought of that? Haha, that makes entirely too much sense. Would be good to see what he has to say on the subject, thanks. :)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Driven one. Raced against one in my Soup. I've had one on my radar for a while. What is a MUST is boost on these things. Otherwise, you'll get beat here and there from a light. If that's what you want anyway.

The one I was in had 18's and the ride was semi-harsh. They handle very well. The cockpit is "ok" in my opinion. All in all, for ~20k. They're worth the money...

There's my .02.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Had a guy on my street where I used to live with one. Raced it a couple times and wasn't impressed. Boosting one is a bit of a pain as there really isn't any room to put the necessary parts cleanly.

They do handle well though and they do look damn good. Just think it's a lot of money for a Honda :p

Typhoon

Jun 30, 2007
ACT
Forget boost. If that's what you think a car needs, you'll never appreciate an NSX. They are a beautifully balanced SPORTS car, not a straight line toy.
They come into their own on twisty roads and WILL leave anything on this board far behind in that situation. They are all about a very refined, capable chassis with excellent feedback to the driver and need finesse and skill to drive fast. That's not to say they are a car full of faults, just that hamfisted point and shoot driving results in slow progress.
If you own one, you need to know about apexes, trail braking etc, then you will really enjoy an NSX.
I've driven one at a track and yes, they aren't the most powerful sports car in the world, but the engine is magnificent and the chassis balance is sublime. If you enjoy driving, buy an NSX. If you like showing people that all you can do is mash a throttle, buy a Corvette.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1752744 said:
Had a guy on my street where I used to live with one. Raced it a couple times and wasn't impressed. Boosting one is a bit of a pain as there really isn't any room to put the necessary parts cleanly.

They do handle well though and they do look damn good. Just think it's a lot of money for a Honda :p
These are the things I am more concerned with. The Supra is going to be the highway/power monster, I want something to complement that car though, that has more of a focus on handling. Could always do a Miata, but in this elevation, you NEED a few hundred horse to even have fun. Plus, I'd never tire of looking at an NSX...

Typhoon;1753227 said:
Forget boost. If that's what you think a car needs, you'll never appreciate an NSX. They are a beautifully balanced SPORTS car, not a straight line toy.
They come into their own on twisty roads and WILL leave anything on this board far behind in that situation. They are all about a very refined, capable chassis with excellent feedback to the driver and need finesse and skill to drive fast. That's not to say they are a car full of faults, just that hamfisted point and shoot driving results in slow progress.
If you own one, you need to know about apexes, trail braking etc, then you will really enjoy an NSX.
I've driven one at a track and yes, they aren't the most powerful sports car in the world, but the engine is magnificent and the chassis balance is sublime. If you enjoy driving, buy an NSX. If you like showing people that all you can do is mash a throttle, buy a Corvette.
I see you're thinking along the same lines as I am. I'm wanting something with a focus on handling that still has power. While I've driven a Corvette (C5), and love them (90% Miata handling with 3x the power? Yes please.), a C5 is a POS car, just happens to drive well. C6 is still out of my price range. Not to mention, there are more Corvettes around here alone, than NSX's that were built, period. I like my unique cars...

That said, supercharging seems common among the NSX crowd... not that I think it would NEED it, but at higher elevations (I'm at 6200-8000+'), boost is always nice, as it balances out what your car SHOULD be making NA at lower elevations. I wouldn't count it out, but I think I'd prefer keeping it as close as possible to a responsive, communicative car. I'll leave the high pressure turbocharging for the Supra. :)

Suprapowaz!(2);1753244 said:
Put up an '05 NSX (last year made) against an '05 Corvette at any road course.
C6 is WAY out of my price range still, not to mention almost as common around here as the Mustangs... Granted, an 05 NSX is way out of my price range too. That said, both cars would be equals on a track for sure.

bioskyline;1753311 said:
never driven one but i have rode in one. car hugs the road well, but is stiff suspension, which you know when you hit a bump.
Not afraid of bumps, both my Mk3's have had rather stiff suspensions. Plus, I like a car that communicates, I can TRUST a car that communicates. Cars that muffle and isolate what's going on under your tires scare the crap out of me...

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
I did a timing belt on one that was supposedly sitting for 7yrs due to a divorce. You couldn't tell by looking at it that it had sat for so long. Body and interior were flawless, sittin on some volks and coil overs. My boss said he had known the lady since they were young.

Anyways once i was was done, my boss told me to take it out to stretch its legs, and that was exactly what i did. They're definitely a blast to drive, and v-tec always puts a little smerk on my face.

With that said, I think the s2000 is more fun to drive, if I had to drive a honda.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
mkiiichip;1753627 said:
I did a timing belt on one that was supposedly sitting for 7yrs due to a divorce. You couldn't tell by looking at it that it had sat for so long. Body and interior were flawless, sittin on some volks and coil overs. My boss said he had known the lady since they were young.

Anyways once i was was done, my boss told me to take it out to stretch its legs, and that was exactly what i did. They're definitely a blast to drive, and v-tec always puts a little smerk on my face.

With that said, I think the s2000 is more fun to drive, if I had to drive a honda.

I have yet to see one with more than a little wear on the left side driver seat bolster, or a tasteless paint job. Other than that, they seem REALLY well built. I'd expect that out of an 80k car though...

You'd really take the S2000 over the NSX given the chance? Not disagreeing, I've entertained the S2000 idea too, but are they really that much more fun? Personally, i think the look of the NSX would sell that argument for me, but I'm curious now that you mention the s2000 being more fun.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Miata > S2000 :p

For the price of an S2000, you can build a Miata that will blow it's doors off. Hell, for the same price as an S2000 you can pick up a Mazdaspeed Miata...

(and I'll entice you with pics of the new NB my mom just got that I'm gonna steal :rofl: )

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles, if I were gonna do another Miata, it would be an NB, probably 2001 or later. Not counting it out, as another car is still 2-3 years out, depending on a few factors. IF I were gonna lean toward Miata, I would probably be more interested in just building the 7 replica, like a Westfield, Birkin, etc... half the weight, and about as practical, plus, with the Westfield, there is a Miata based kit that FM sells, if you can bolt it onto a Miata, you can pretty much put it on the Westfield.

Still... NSX. Still so very tempting, plus they look way better than either S2000 or Miata. I was just curious as to Chip's reasoning on the S2000 over the NSX. If I were going with another FR, it would likely be the 7 replica...

Oh, and S2000's are actually still more expensive than the MSM, which has come down in price quite a bit in recent years. Still in for pics of your mom...'s car. :p

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Let's see if these work. Not the best pics as we had just picked the car up. It's a 2000, so yes, an NB :D Wouldn't believe what we got it for and what it is on it :)

Ignore the supra :rofl:
292758_247054945317253_100000382482958_857669_6705551_n.jpg

296369_247055248650556_100000382482958_857670_6038357_n.jpg

300464_247055445317203_100000382482958_857671_2854805_n.jpg

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Miatas are cool. NSX's are on an entirely different level though. I've never driven or rode in one so I wont pretend to know what I'm talking about, but i'll simply add this:

The NSX is and has been my realistic dream car for the last 5 years. Two guys in Boulder have them for daily drivers to work and I'd see them all the time. Such a sexy car... OP, I'd be jealous if you got one. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The main issue with the NSX is that you can buy a TT 6speed MKIV Supra for the same amount of money. But I'm weird and would probably buy a Lotus Elise or Espirt...

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Poodles;1754044 said:
The main issue with the NSX is that you can buy a TT 6speed MKIV Supra for the same amount of money. But I'm weird and would probably buy a Lotus Elise or Espirt...

I LOVE the Esprit and the Exige. A used Elise is comparable in price to the NSX range and a similar function car.

lotus_esprit_HR_manu-01.jpg

50413N_17.jpg

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Poodles;1754031 said:
Let's see if these work. Not the best pics as we had just picked the car up. It's a 2000, so yes, an NB :D Wouldn't believe what we got it for and what it is on it :)
I see it has some sort of lip on the front, some Racing Hart CR (??) wheels, and suspension of some sort. You're not showing me what's under the hood... why not?

suprarx7nut;1754036 said:
Miatas are cool. NSX's are on an entirely different level though.
The NSX is and has been my realistic dream car for the last 5 years. Such a sexy car... OP, I'd be jealous if you got one. ;)
This is the mindset I am in at the moment. I could build a stupidly extreme car out of a 7 replica, or I could have something that's just... 'wow' every time I look in my garage. I like the thought of that. Plus, a 7 built like what I have in mind would probably be the death of me. :p

Poodles;1754044 said:
This is very true. While I would love to have a Mk4 as well, by the time I am done with what I have planned for the Mk3, I dunno whether or not I'll even still be all that interested in a Mk4. Plus, the old lady really, really wants a Mk4, and in a couple years will likely be in a position to buy one herself, so I'll let her have that fun. :)

However, the Espirit is definitely on the same level as the NSX. Can't get over the fact it was designed in the 70's though...