Anyone Know the Requirements For SP61GT Upgrade..????

OD-Supra

Aug 28, 2007
Ottawa Canada
I Am a fairly new supra owner.. i own a 1987 supra turbo and i was hoping to get some information on what i should do before upgrading to a sp61gt setup i am completely stock and looking for some insight thanks alot for your help

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
First of all - make sure your engine is in good condition. Secondly, an SP61GT with stock internals? Hmm...dubious. Anything past the 57Trim CT26 and i'd want to upgrade the pistons and rods with some forged items, add a metal headgasket etc.

First, start off with the CT26 - work your way progressively upwards - dont just jump in at the deep end. Make sure you sort out your exhaust, your intake and your fuelling (Lex AFM, 550cc injectors, Walbro Fuel 255lph Pump, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and an APEXi SAFC-II for fine tuning). Once thats sorted, you can up the boost and start buggering around with a 57 trim.

Then, when you're bored of that, go for forged internals, Eagle rods and JE Pistons are usually a good combo, and while you're at it, take the time to replace the oil pump (shim it as well), new water pump and i'd recommend looking into this mod while you're at it: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31378

Of course, from there, you can stuff a bigger Turbo on it, either the aforementioned SP61GT or a Garrett T04 of some description...in fact, any turbo you like really...

At some point though, you're going to run into a wall on the electronics side of things and piggyback ECU's will only cut it so far. By now, you'll be wanting the AEM plug and play ECU....or the MAPECU2. And then a set of cams. Brian Crower do 264/272's and comp cams do the uprated valve springs...

Just make sure that any engine work you do, you balance it out with paying attention to your transmission, clutch (if you're manual), rear differential and most importantly of all - THE BRAKES. No point in having a 500+hp engine with stock brakes on.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head...

OD-Supra

Aug 28, 2007
Ottawa Canada
Kai;931416 said:
First of all - make sure your engine is in good condition. Secondly, an SP61GT with stock internals? Hmm...dubious. Anything past the 57Trim CT26 and i'd want to upgrade the pistons and rods with some forged items, add a metal headgasket etc.

First, start off with the CT26 - work your way progressively upwards - dont just jump in at the deep end. Make sure you sort out your exhaust, your intake and your fuelling (Lex AFM, 550cc injectors, Walbro Fuel 255lph Pump, Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator and an APEXi SAFC-II for fine tuning). Once thats sorted, you can up the boost and start buggering around with a 57 trim.

Then, when you're bored of that, go for forged internals, Eagle rods and JE Pistons are usually a good combo, and while you're at it, take the time to replace the oil pump (shim it as well), new water pump and i'd recommend looking into this mod while you're at it: http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31378

Of course, from there, you can stuff a bigger Turbo on it, either the aforementioned SP61GT or a Garrett T04 of some description...in fact, any turbo you like really...

At some point though, you're going to run into a wall on the electronics side of things and piggyback ECU's will only cut it so far. By now, you'll be wanting the AEM plug and play ECU....or the MAPECU2. And then a set of cams. Brian Crower do 264/272's and comp cams do the uprated valve springs...

Just make sure that any engine work you do, you balance it out with paying attention to your transmission, clutch (if you're manual), rear differential and most importantly of all - THE BRAKES. No point in having a 500+hp engine with stock brakes on.

Thats all i can think of off the top of my head...

Very Informative.. explains alot to me about the supra.. i just got this vehicle sept and it has a blown head gasket been looking for a place to get it done in ottawa for a fair price yet get it done right.. hard to find places like these.. i got exhuast and downpipe and intake metal head gasket and the arp head studs... i guess i will lean towards the 57 trim turbo i am only lookin to get about 350HP with a quick spooling turbo since i am gonna try to track this car.

My next mods i was looking by this summer were Lex AFM, 550CC Injectors, Fuel Pump/regulator, Apexi SAFC II, Still Deciding over Teins or HKS, and some tires.

Is there a place i can find where to tune my air/fuel to with the safc ii? like a guide?

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
First of all....do the rebuild yourself - i never trust shops with engines, especially not something as tight on tolerances as the 7M. Have an engine shop skim your block face to at least 25RA before thinking of installing a metal head gasket - ARP's are a good idea though.

Jon - correct me if i'm wrong but 350rwhp is attainable with a 57 trim, right?

I have a set of TEIN HR's on mine - and they are SWEET. Harsher ride than my N/A but this thing feels like its on rails when you turn a corner :D

And yes, for the SAFCII - go to the UK MK3 site:

http://www.mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=11469

The guides on there should be almost everything you need. They're all augmented with step-by-step pictures, so you know what you're doing.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Kai;931493 said:
First of all....do the rebuild yourself - i never trust shops with engines, especially not something as tight on tolerances as the 7M. Have an engine shop skim your block face to at least 25RA before thinking of installing a metal head gasket - ARP's are a good idea though.

Jon - correct me if i'm wrong but 350rwhp is attainable with a 57 trim, right?

I have a set of TEIN HR's on mine - and they are SWEET. Harsher ride than my N/A but this thing feels like its on rails when you turn a corner :D

And yes, for the SAFCII - go to the UK MK3 site:

http://www.mkiiisupra.net/bbs/showthread.php?t=11469

The guides on there should be almost everything you need. They're all augmented with step-by-step pictures, so you know what you're doing.

400+ WHP/TQ and probably more with the 57GT wheel

also, regaurding your post before....7m's are 500WHP proven stock internals from what i've read.....so saying you top out at a 57trim on stock internals is underestimating quite a bit

Kai

That Limey Bastard
Staff member
I didn't say it couldnt be done, i'm just advocating playing it safe. I'd rather have overspecced internals than throw a rod through the block due to cheaping out. Theres no telling how the internals have held up after x thousand miles either.

OD-Supra

Aug 28, 2007
Ottawa Canada
This is MAZING you guys been more then enough help to me.. but i just wanted to make sure the stuff i get i dont got to change later cause i wanna change the turbo to a SP61GT like the injectors..

another thing is where abouts in ottawa/toronto would i send my turbo to get it trimmed to a 57trim? and where can i get a "TUNE" me having a safc and tuning it from there is not what you guy mean by tune i assume..

and i searched alot and i dont really think a supra is meant for the track.. correct me if im wrong.. but i have only seen drag raced supra and hardly and tracked ones.. any videos link me :D and if you guys have d tracked your supra how did you guys do..? i was thinking of trading it for a Integra Type R cause i was Leaning towards a more of a track car and i heard that supras wont do good at the track...some say different but any feedback on this would be AWESOME

THANKS everyone for there informative knowledge and lending a hand to a newbie
It is VERY much appreciated

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
You can tune it yourself with some simple engine support gauges (read - Wide band 02 sensor & gauge, water temp, oil pressure, boost pressure) and an safc with a AFPR. Go to your local dyno - do some reading about AFR's before you go - and spend some time on the dyno.

The sp61 or the like (there are several turbos out there JT61, to4E 60-1, BOSS series etc) will run on the 550 setup and will take you into the 400+ range.

Now, go with bigger injectors and you really need to start thinking about an aftermarket ECU (read AEM, MegaSquirt, VPC, MaftPro, Motec) to make the engine & car happy at all RPMS.

As for your 57 trim turbo - Talk to Jeff Tamulis (Jtamulis) or Aaron @ Driftmotion.