Status
Not open for further replies.

queenskid926

Tires yeling @ every Lite
Jul 27, 2007
New York City
www.myspace.com
Time to ask for your opinion JDub.

How do you feel about adding "engine restore" in the oil of these high mileage engines to help restore compression ratio and everything else that it claims to do?

Ive never used it before but I'm thinking about using it in my old beat up 220,000 miles 1994 Lincoln continental. One customer review even said that "Its an engine rebuild in a can".

Has anyone here used engine restore before? And even though they say its safe to use with Half and Full Synthetic motor oils, is safe to do so? Are there any long term side effects?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Don't use it...it's snake oil ;)

It's a lot like Lucas in that respect:
Lucas Oil Treatment

You don't have to use a syn oil in your Lincoln, but a good quality oil will treat it far better.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That's the problem with snake oil products like this...you always "hear" about the results, but nothing to back them up. Testimonials don't mean squat. Everything I have seen on this and others like it (Marvel, Lucas, Slick 50, etc) do not live up to the claims made for the product. And, in some cases do more harm than good.

Don't fall for the hype ;)

Red7m

Oct 16, 2005
Hollidaysburg PA
I used Engine Restore in my 90 Talon. It had lower compresion in a couple of cylinders. I tested it using two different compression gauges and both read 150-135-120-120. I was doing an oil change and saw some of that Engine Restore and figured what the hell. I then checked the comp. about 1000miles later with one of the compression tester's and it read 155-155-155-150. I didnt believe it so I tested again with the different tester and had the same result.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
A buddy of mine used it in his 77 corolla as well, with similar results in his compression. The engine was well on it's way out, and only lasted a couple more months.

We pulled it out and tore it down after. OMG. What a MESS. Getting that crap off everything was a huge pain in the ass. Neither of us would ever consider using that stuff again - it only kept the thing together for an extra couple months, and it added literally weeks of labour to the engine rebuild.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
jdub said:
That's the problem with snake oil products like this...you always "hear" about the results, but nothing to back them up. Testimonials don't mean squat. Everything I have seen on this and others like it (Marvel, Lucas, Slick 50, etc) do not live up to the claims made for the product. And, in some cases do more harm than good.

Don't fall for the hype ;)
Bitron
14_6_6.gif

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ LOL...Yep, that one too ;)

Grim's experience is the result of what you'll see using the super thick additives. Most of the "testimonials" don't involve tearing the motor down...the effects of these products is temporary at best. There is not an additive product out there that can fix worn bearings or worn out rings.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nope...they use the same method...super thick base. The result is the same.
Gonna have to use the "old fashion" method...replace the seal or gasket material ;)

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
you could try using a high milage oil like mobil 1 fully synthetic high milage...it has some additives in it that actually swell the seals that are leaking...it wont stop leaking but it will slow it down...the only way to stop a leak is to fix it like jdub said....and you can not rely on any kind of oil to fix bearings...you just have to replace them...but if ya want a few extra miles on it use the high milage.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hmmm...Mobil 1 is a Grp III base stock. It's not even a true syn oil ;)

An ester base stock (Grp V) like Red Line *may* help swell the seals a bit, but by the time a leak has developed, it's usually too late. Plus PAO (Grp IV) and ester based oils do a very good job of cleaning out deposits...on old seals/gaskets those deposits just might be the only thing filling in that's keeping leaks from happening. A syn oil can make a leak worse or make one start.

About the only way is to fix the leak ;)

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
ya like i said if ya wanna fix it fix the leak but it is true that it will slow a small leak down a little...i didnt know that much about oils...i i just suggested mobil 1 cause i just recently saw it and fully syntheitic and high milage i thought would be great...i didnt think about how the sythetic and high milage dont realy even go together...but they do make an oil for it,,mmmm

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
You are right about one thing...you don't know much about motor oils. That would require research ;)

Mobil 1 will not slow a leak down...not even a little.

ginglesturbo

Boost Nazi
Dec 1, 2007
Charlotte N.C.
no i was saying the mobil 1 high milage will....but i dont know now because it is a fully synthetic motor oil....so why would they make a fully sythentic motor oil for high milage cars?? a would say that about 80% of all cars on the road past75000 miles has a leak somewhere...so why is mobil makeing a high milage fuly synthetic oil? that realy doesnt even make sense does it?

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Dude - Everything you're saying is based on pure speculation. Mobil 1 or ANY motor oil, "high mileage" or otherwise, will not stop a leak. You don't want to hear the truth and you don't listen...like I said, Mobil 1 is not a true Syn oil...it is a Group III base stock made from oil pulled out of the ground...only Group IV and V are synthetic based oils. Please stop pulling these kind of comments out of your arse and get a grip...you need to stop making statements you know nothing about. Companies use branding as a MARKETING instrument...oil companies are no different.

This thread is done.
And you will not be making any further posts in this section...period.

Status
Not open for further replies.