Any trick to removing a stuck fill plug in the differential?

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I used my 25" snap-on breaker bar on mine the first time I had to break it loose on all of the supras I have owned. Make sure you use a 6 point socket, and yes use PB blaster to get her out easier. Just be careful to not strip it, as I know they are kind of short bolt heads and it is sometimes hard to get a grip on it.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
When you put it on be sure to torque it to the setting in the TSRM and then you wont have to worry about not being able to get it off again.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
1st trick don't drain fluid till you remove fill plug. It is very hard to turn car upside down to refill. Use a quality 6 point socket and long breaker bar as stated above. Make sure you push on socket with one hand and pull with other. If it is rounded off to much by using cheap tools there is one option. You need an air hammer and a chisel bit. NO you do not chisel off the bolt head. You put chisel bit on the flat part on fill plug and angle air hammer to spin out the fill plug. Good luck.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
super51fan;1919344 said:
1st trick don't drain fluid till you remove fill plug. It is very hard to turn car upside down to refill...
Very much this. ALWAYS remove the fill bolt first, ALWAYS use a 6-point socket, and ALWAYS make sure you have a snug fit before turning the breaker bar/ratchet.

Also, good imagery there, with flipping the car upside down. :rofl:

SC61 MK3

Apr 4, 2005
FL
Haha he didn't say if he drained it first lol

If you still can't get it you can try this. Jack the car up high and attach really long breaker bar to diff plug. Wedge the breaker bar against the ground and slowly lower the car down using the jack and the weight of the car should crack it loose.

Or you can pull the diff and fill it from the drain plug

alacran1

Dec 24, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
I officially screwed up. lol. i stripped the dam fill plug. I know not to drain it out first. it just was that tight i blasted it with pb blaster for 3 days, day and night, and it didnt do crap. Now what? drill it out?

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
If you take it to a shop they can use the air hammer method. Alot techs use this method to remove a fan clutch from domestic cars. Just order a new fill plug from toyota dealer.

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
I would order new fill plug and gasket from toyota dealer and then drive to a shop to remove your plug. They would probably charge about .5 to 1.0 labor hour to try and remove. I don't think the cover will come off in the car. I think the diff assembly has to come down. If you would remove the cover how would you hold it while you were trying to remove the fill plug?