Antenna Wire

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Anyone know the color of the wires that are used to send up the stock antenna using an aftermarket radio? I heard of a piece that you can plug in the back where the antenna cable would go and it would sit behind the radio and pick up the radio signals. Not sure how true that is.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I don't recall the power antenna details any more, mine's been gone for a long time. I just use the one in the rear hatch glass now. As long as you're not in bumpkin land, it provides more than enough reception.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
sharpsupra;1768279 said:
brown with red stripe and pink with light blue stripe

Sweet.

Hey Grim, the hatch antenna, is it a separate plug? I will pull the radio out this week. Just want to know. The two wires that are on the hatch toward the driver side that heat the defogger are separated on mine. Anyway to reattach it?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Yes, it's a different plug. The power antenna is a standard plug, the hatch glass antenna is a modern GM style mini plug - you can get adapters for it for a couple bucks from any stereo install shop.

Reattaching the defogger leads is a pain, but it can be done. Pick up some rearview mirror glue to attach them, then reconnect them using solder to bridge the tear. Soldering upside down is the pain... works much better if you take off the hatch and turn it upside down first, but that has it's own challenges, of course.

hey...it runs

Aug 15, 2011
chicago
It's probably too late now, but just thought I'd throw out there that I use the power antenna in the down position and get fine reception. Every now and then I have trouble picking up a station or get a little static but it's not too bad. Most of the time it's perfectly clear. Just in case anyone else reads this. I'd say just try both of them and see which works better for your radio.