another 1jz water pump question

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
hello everybody. so I keep searching, but the more I read the more I get confused. my water pump started to weep when I put my car back together this week and now there is vary noticeable wobble in the pump pulley. so obviously I need a new pump(2jz), but idk what to buy. the pump is two separate pieces, correct? do I need both or just the front piece? where should I buy it? are ebay ones any good? I know "satan" on here used an ebay one. I was also going to change my timing belt so to confirm the 88 trooper belt will work, right? and should I replace my tensioner as well, even though its working fine? will the 2jz tensioner work? sorry for all the questions.

thanks,
Kelson

jnianekeo

Oct 27, 2005
Mill Creek, WA
Just cuz your pully is wobbly doesnt mean your pump is bad. might just have a bent pully. but eventually it will go out cuz there is a large chance that your WP took a beating since the fan is its only front end protection during shipment.

It depends on your setup. you running a mechanical fan or hydrofan? if you are currently running a mechanical fan then you can just replace with a 2JZ pump. I would go OEM Aisin pump. but any pump will do at your local parts store as long as its for a 2jzgte (94+ Supra).

2j tensioner should work just fine. (dont quote me on this)

I have used the isuzu belt and it also works fine. make sure when you get it count the ribs and make sure the length is the same.

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
jnianekeo;1542462 said:
Just cuz your pully is wobbly doesnt mean your pump is bad. might just have a bent pully. but eventually it will go out cuz there is a large chance that your WP took a beating since the fan is its only front end protection during shipment.

It depends on your setup. you running a mechanical fan or hydrofan? if you are currently running a mechanical fan then you can just replace with a 2JZ pump. I would go OEM Aisin pump. but any pump will do at your local parts store as long as its for a 2jzgte (94+ Supra).

2j tensioner should work just fine. (dont quote me on this)

I have used the isuzu belt and it also works fine. make sure when you get it count the ribs and make sure the length is the same.

Ok well the pump is wobbly, but it is also weeping alot!
I am using the Taurus E-fan so that wont be a problem.
thanks for the help jnianekeo

Question still not answered:
Do I only replace the front of the pump?
SHOULD I replace the timing tensioner?