alternator not charging the system, which wires do i replace.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
np90wVb.jpg

So first off, I tested the car with the engine running and it was not charging. So next on my voltmeter, I ran one lead from battery positive to the B terminal of the alternator( where the orange and black wire run to). That read around 5 volts which according to my google-fu means that there is too much Resistance. So I wanted to know how the wiring is ran to the batery so I know which one to replace.

Last edited:

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
DZIwHmJ.jpg

kzkqx3o.jpg

It was just there, and bouncing around. I just zip tied it to something. I don't think it does anything. It runs into the harness, then the harness splits, one going to the passenger fender area, and one going past the radiator back to the fuse box area.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Then somewhere between the alternator and the battery you are losing 5 volts. That black wire goes from the alternator to the fuse box to the alt fuse to the the battery.

You can do the same voltage drop test from the alternator to where that black wire meets the orignal wiring some where near the fuse box.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
HEgq32r.jpg

I measured from right below the fuse box under the 100A Alternator fuse right on that bolt with the black wire and it shows a 0.03. Can i measure it from there?

EDIT: Actually I see what you're saying let me start digging around.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Try from there to the alt and there to the battery. If its half a volt then your fine and its most likely the alternator.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Fuse bolt to battery showed 0:03 again, while Fuse bolt to Alternator showed 4.46ish. So it's definitely somewhere along that black wire correct? I'm going to pick up some new ring connectors and battery terminals if that's the case.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yeah.

That wire does not appear to be stock with the electrical tape around it right there.

You can make a whole new wire pretty easily with some 2-4 gauge wire. Prolly the best way to go about it.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
Sorry I thought i edited this post to fix it guess it didn't go through.

The black wire running from the Alternator actually went just straight to the Battery positive Terminal, I noticed it once i took the battery out. I replaced that wire and now it's showing 14.6ish volts across the battery. So everything is looking good. I just wanted to thank you for all the help, I really do appreciate it.

The Video: It started this strange whistling about a week ago and I'm not sure exactly what's wrong, was wondering if you had any ideas.