Alarm trips everytime i reconnect the battery or try to unlock doors

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
I've been searching awhile but there are ALOT of car alarm threads and most result in the same solution, which i've tried, locking and unlocking.

I was just about home when i realized my engine bay was smoking A LOT:aigo:. All i could think of was "great, what now". Pull over into a friends house nearby, blew a coolant hose, the one with the U shape connected to the heater bypass valve.

Anyway, i take a trip to advanced, lock the doors and come back, unlock car alarm goes off. I fix the hose and RElock the car. Unlock it, alarm goes off again. Ok, ill try passenger side. Same thing. :nono: I repeat this process many times in different combinations and lengths of time.

I disconnect the battery for a few minutes, the instant i reconnect the battery, the alarm goes off. This is where i start to stray from other car alarms topics. Didnt find any on this one. I tried again but longer, this time about ten minutes, no different, the instant i make contact with the battery it starts going off unless i have the key in the ignition and turned on/ACC position.

Im going to start looking through TSRM electrical diagrams but don't have much time to mess around as its my only mode of transportation and drive A LOT to and from classes and engineering buildings to work on HW i can't do at home; CAD, NX and Matlab programs are too damn expensive.

Please keep in mind im trying to KEEP the factory alarm as being in a college town there are plenty of drunks out and about to test them out. No money to upgrade right now. Somethign is better then nothing

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
My best guess is that you have a short in the front door keyswitch circuit. This may be causing the system to think the car is never being unlocked.

Try locking the car and then unlocking it via the trunk lock, this is an independent circuit. If this works, then you'll probably have to pull the doors apart to find the short.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
good call, i didn't think to try this, in fact i just read through in via TSRM wiring diagram, ill have to try it out. I didn't bother earlier today as i knew on my previous supra it definately set off the alarm via trunk.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Trunk option worked, must be isolated to the door switches, still not sure why it would go off right as i reconnect the battery though

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^??? So the alarm is supposed to go off (as in set it off, horns blaring lights flashing)whenever I reconnect the battery? I think there is a misunderstanding here, unless you mean its supposed to go off if one of the switches are bad

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If the system is armed and the battery disconnected and then reconnected the alarm is designed to trigger for what should be obvious reasons. Iirc this behavior is spelled out in the TSRM and/or owner's manual.

You armed it when you locked the doors and as pointed out were unable to cancel using the door switch. Until you found the other way to cancel the system it remained armed. It should not trigger off the battery after being canceled.

Edit: Not in the TSRM or TEWD. Only mentioned in the owner's manual. Page 5 for the 1987 model year...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^though not completely disarmed, if it were to go off and I turned it off via key in ignition, i would've thought it would disable after i disconnect the battery, this is why i was confused. Just surprised i guess it would automatically go off after that.

Davismj711

PA Mountain Supra
JJ you never cease to amaze me in here:

Not in the TSRM or TEWD. Only mentioned in the owner's manual. Page 5 for the 1987 model year...

Do me a favor and chime in on my sawblade post in General.

I believe there is also a very good post on how to disarmthe alarm system permanently also if you so choose.
I was fortunate to have a donor car handy with good lock sensors. I switched them out and solved my problem.