Airflow at X psi elevation difference?

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
te72:
you are thinking of gauge pressure. yes 12 psi is 12 psi is 12 psi....that is 12 psi GAUGE. difference between gauge pressure and absolute pressure is the key. your gauge will go from vacuum to 0 psi. at 0 psi you are at atmospheric pressure. at 6000', atmospheric pressure is 12.8 or so psi. 1 psi on the gauge would be 13.8 psi absolute or 1 psi over atmospheric pressure. that is still less than the pressure at sea level. Theoretically, if you were to boost 2 psig at 6000' you would be at the same power level as sea level if you weren't to boost at all. that is the concept of turbo-normalized aircraft. the aircraft holds a specific manifold ABSOLUTE pressure (map). maintaining map at a specific pressure would give x hp to a critical altitude.

te72 & CyFi6:
most wastegates are rated at gauge pressures not absolute pressures. most car wastegates use gauge pressure to control boost. because of that, a car wastegate will not equal things out with atmospheric pressures.

energy moves things. that includes compressing the air in the turbocharger. how do you increase energy from an engine? add more air molecules. think of the wastegate as how much energy you are throwing away from the exhaust. you are higher in altitude thus not as much air molecules. the lack of air molecules means less energy. the decrease in energy means slower spool.

it doesn't matter if you have a wastegate in the equation or not or if the air is being compressed (up to an extent) or not. the thermodynamics will still hold. yes atmospheric o2 is not a real ideal gas but for calculation purposes it is close enough (you could use Van der Waals equation of state to get a better prediction). the ideal gas law will deviate away from it's prediction at high pressures like 10 atm and low temperatures. why? at high pressures the size of the molecule needs to be taken into account. the volume at high pressures will be higher than predicted because of the size of the molecules. at low temperatures the molecules aren't moving as fast. so intermolecular forces need to be taken account. the volume at low temperatures will be smaller than predicted because the molecules want to come together. why am i talking about volume prediction and how does that relate to anything? PV=nRT, volume is directly proportional to number of moles of a gas meaning lower V then lower n and vice-versa. A turbocharger does not produce 10 atm (140 psi or so) of pressure and charge temperatures are not low temperatures.

Grandavi:
great way of thinking about work/energy for the turbocharger.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Grandavi;1866747 said:
I think that 12 psi is 12 psi.. however... if you take an ice cream scoop and do one swing and fill it at sea level.. when you are where I live.. it would take a lot longer scoop to get that amount of ice cream.
At first I was thinking, WTF is this guy talking about ice cream for... but I see what you're saying now.

87targa, I certainly appreciate all the input. Trying to keep this simple as possible (I'm not a mechanic, nor engineer, I'm a car guy simply because I love to DRIVE, so math has never been my interest in the hobby), but I think I'm following your explanation as much as I can.

That said, can we simplify this and still be accurate in saying that in all but the most extreme cases, most drivers in most cars will not notice an appreciable difference in power output at altitude with a turbocharged vehicle?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yes, unless you are going for 1/4 mile timings. The lower you are, the better in almost all cases.

umm.. provided your tuned for it.. lol. Regardless of tune though, a car at sea level will perform more optimally with less effort at sea level. If your doing a 10 sec quarter at 4000 ft above sea level, you will probably dip under the 10 seconds at sea level (if all conditions are similar)

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
agreed with grandavi. I would like people who drive supras to be as knowledgeable as possible, especially with the science behind this. don't want people that don't own supras to say "man those supra guys are retarded".

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Wastegates by themselves use spring pressure. Manual boost controllers do as well. Electronic boost controllers on the other hand do not. A lot of modern vehicles have electronic boost controllers built into the ECU as well.

What I'm trying to say is that a normal wastegate won't be affected the same way. Also, quart mile times would be affected because of lag.

Of course there's also cooling to take into account, the way fuels are mixed for higher altitudes, etc. Really too many variables, but the simple fact is forced induction is not as effected by altitude as an N/A engine.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
87targa;1867192 said:
don't want people that don't own supras to say "man those supra guys are retarded".

Poodles;1867205 said:
Also, quart mile times would be affected because of lag.
Well if we start bringing 1/4 mile times into this, I'm pretty sure people are already saying that. ;) :p

Poodles;1867205 said:
Of course there's also cooling to take into account, the way fuels are mixed for higher altitudes, etc. Really too many variables, but the simple fact is forced induction is not as effected by altitude as an N/A engine.
Boiled down to its most simplistic, 100% correct. This is why my car can hang with modded v8's for the most part. :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
[video=youtube;NhL_t6Cf4cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhL_t6Cf4cE[/video]

So to recap, you did see the Hemi Charger and its 15.5 @ 91, and the 130 mph supercharged LS9 Corvette ZR1 could only muster 113 trap. I used to race here. It is rough at high altitudes.

mensrea

Sep 6, 2009
Schofield Barracks, HI
I drve from 750ft all the way to ~6500ft, and from what i've sen, engine preformance drops down big time. I was spooling like a semi truck, and bearly climbing, while N/A cars were passing by. It could be that turbo was working harder, and getting really hot.