After sitting for a year car cranks but won't start

90supraturbo

Apr 3, 2007
Gilbert, AZ
Okay all, I've had my supra for 13 years and I had parked it last year thinking I was going to drive it and never did. Now I am looking to start playing with it again and I have replaced the battery and drained the old fuel and changed oil. The car cranks but won't turn over. It ran fine when I parked it. It has been garaged and has not been touched, do not have mice or anything that could have touched the wires.
The car just cranks and doesn't seem to be taking a spark. My concern is whether it's possible that having left the fuel in it for a year might it have varnished and be blocking injector ports? The car doesn't seem to be attempting to start at all... no backfires indicating the excess fuel is ever being ignited and burned off either.
Any thoughts on things to try?
Thanks all.

roadboy

Supra Owner
Jan 22, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
could be your cps wires, i had to wiggle mine to get it to start sometimes, till i zip tied it to a angle so it starts all the time. also check for codes could be something else.

90supraturbo

Apr 3, 2007
Gilbert, AZ
I'll look over the CPS better tomorrow and try cleaning the connectors and such, thanks for the advice. I'm not getting any codes right now.

Oct 4, 2011
PA
Clean the plug wires and coil connections with electronics cleaner. Also spray some of it in the cps to clean off any gunk/corrosion on the contacts. As you said the injectors could be clogged. What I did was took my air nozzle and adjusted the regulator to 40psi. Made a 2ft hose, filled it with carb and choke cleaner. Hose clamped one end to the air nozzle and the injector in the other end. Hooked a 9v battery to the injector with a push button switch. Pressurized the hose and pulsed the injector. You will be surprised how much of a difference a few shots of it makes. Hope it helps a little.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
90supraturbo;1821081 said:
I have replaced the battery and drained the old fuel and changed oil.

IBoughtASupra;1821116 said:
After sitting for a year, some fresh gas wouldn't hurt.

So your suggesting he drained the old fuel, and didnt put any fresh gas back in? I doubt it.

OP, does the car run if you spray some carb cleaner in the intake? Have you checked if its getting spark?

Eman14j

O help me, Oprah Winfrey!
Nov 7, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
Maybe I'm crazy but have you pushed her (a friend helps for pushing) and popped the clutch yet? thats my first step just to get everything to turn if there is a starting problem but I'm kinda hard on my toys.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
tmsperformance;1821112 said:
Clean the plug wires and coil connections with electronics cleaner. Also spray some of it in the cps to clean off any gunk/corrosion on the contacts. As you said the injectors could be clogged. What I did was took my air nozzle and adjusted the regulator to 40psi. Made a 2ft hose, filled it with carb and choke cleaner. Hose clamped one end to the air nozzle and the injector in the other end. Hooked a 9v battery to the injector with a push button switch. Pressurized the hose and pulsed the injector. You will be surprised how much of a difference a few shots of it makes. Hope it helps a little.

Good grief....