after market antenna install

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
today i installed an aftermarket antenna to see how it looked and functioned. to start off with im not completely thrilled with the look of it, but i think it looks a little bit better than the long metal one, but this isnt the one im stopping with, i want to go with something a little shorter and thicker. the one im really looking at doing is going to be like the antenna on the honda S2000 or plug the hole up and do a glass mount antenna similar to what sirius and XM have, where is goes on top of your windshield or inside on the dash. as far as reception i honestly cant answer that, because my current head unit wasnt getting a clear reception with the old antenna. however i went to test it with the hatch up and got nothing. as soon as i closed the hatch i got music.

let me know what you all think.

p1192656_1.jpg

p1192656_2.jpg

p1192656_3.jpg

p1192656_4.jpg

p1192656_5.jpg

p1192656_6.jpg

thanks

chris

Last edited:

ERA

Jul 31, 2006
any way the wind blows
Looks neat.

Personally, when I first got the Supra, I wasn't so fond of the long metal stock antenna myself. (and was actually kind of embarrassed aha) But for some odd reason, recently, I've
grown to like it. Gives off that "old car" / classic vibe and makes it look like an R/C car (which I thought wasn't cool firsthand, but I love it now.)

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
ERA;1192685 said:
Looks neat.

Personally, when I first got the Supra, I wasn't so fond of the long metal stock antenna myself. (and was actually kind of embarrassed aha) But for some odd reason, recently, I've
grown to like it. Gives off that "old car" / classic vibe and makes it look like an R/C car (which I thought wasn't cool firsthand, but I love it now.)

ive been driving supras since 2005... broken and working antenna.... i just though i could do something better/cleaner.

but like i said thats not my finished result.. just the first step

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
you could always shave it completly and replace the am diversity ant. end with a motorola and use it. I did that and it works pretty good considering even brand new cars get poor reception on all but country stations where im at. When I go into Memphis, it picks up fine.

pics of it shaved

p1192842_1.jpg

p1192842_2.jpg

oh, I also recomend shaving wiper motor.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
well if you read what i wrote i was already thinking about doing the antenna delete. i was thinking about welding a peice of metal there and smoothing it out. same goes for the wiper motor... just need the time. looks good though, i like the way it look... i might end up doing that

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
I was just talkin bout the fact that is already an ant. in the rear window for am radio, and you can replace the end that plugs into the radio with a universal motorola male plug and use it.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
soundwave2000;1192870 said:
I was just talkin bout the fact that is already an ant. in the rear window for am radio, and you can replace the end that plugs into the radio with a universal motorola male plug and use it.

oh ok i got what your saying now. true, that could work quite well, however i still might do the other sytle up front... i work at an audio shop so i can get my hands on all that stuff

soundwave2000

Tenshou Getsuga
Sep 30, 2007
Somerville Tn.
yea, ive worked at a couple myself. im planning on adding a second one, maybe amplified. but so far its decent reception, even tho all I listen to is mp3s now.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
soundwave2000;1192897 said:
yea, ive worked at a couple myself. im planning on adding a second one, maybe amplified. but so far its decent reception, even tho all I listen to is mp3s now.

thats why i want to do the one up front... its easier to amplify than the back... i dont know why but there is something with the back of the supra that causes interference hence the antenna tower on the back of our cars :biglaugh:

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Yeah shaved antenna and a rear wiper opening looks very neat, i had them removed and for now just plugged the holes with pieces of dynamat from underneath. waiting on repaint and actual shaving done.