Aem

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
I can get my hands on an AEM for cheap but it's a pnp for a honda. since it's a standalone it should work fine for the 7m right? also, how hard do you think it would be to wire a harness for the AEM and my engine harness?

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
well yes and no. while the maps on the unit can be changed, you will have fun wiring it in, as most aem computers are car specfic to your ecu plug.

the only thing that worries me is as its for a honda, which is normally 4 cyl, if it will handle all 6 injectors without alot of hassle,

tbh might be cheaper in the long run to just buy the proper one for your year supra.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
Ok, yea, I was looking at the pin-out diagram for both ECUs (Honda and mine) and it looks like a headache to try to wire everything correctly. I always hated and still do hate electrical stuff with cars...I might not bother with it...but...if I can talk him into letting me use it and see if I can wire it in it first before I buy it....tempting.

Yea I'll get a hold of Aaron and see what he has to say.

Thanks guys!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Depending on which model it is for was only like 1000-1200 new. Basically about what a used one goes for. You can find v2 aem for 2jz used for like 1200-1400 with everything and pnp. Just a example. Best bet is to start off with the proper unit.

Also you wont be able to drive to the tuner so it would have to be towed unless you know how to tune maps from scratch. Which isnt something you can learn over night.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
He says it's brand new...who knows with out actually connecting to the ecu. I spoke with Aaron today and it sounds like a headache to me to wire up...I would also imagine AEM not giving support for it since the ECU was "designed" for a Honda and they already make the pnp for the 7m.

Made my decision and will go with the pnp for the 7m.

Thanks guys

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
The Honda ECU is cake to wire up. Ive been using them for a long time now. Check out my vendor section. I was using them on IS300's over three years ago.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

87targa;1723400 said:
I can get my hands on an AEM for cheap but it's a pnp for a honda. since it's a standalone it should work fine for the 7m right? also, how hard do you think it would be to wire a harness for the AEM and my engine harness?

I assume you want to use it on a 7M right? If you do it your self it would be worth it. If you are going to pay someone to change the plugs for you on the engine harness I would just buy the 87-88 AEM and call it a day.