AEM V2 Starting Issues

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
I just installed the AEM V2 from driftmotion and I'm having some trouble getting it started. The car ran on the stock ECU+maft pro the same day just before installing the AEM. Relevant mods are:

- GM 3-bar MAP sensor
- GM IAT sensor
- IS300 coils on the stock igniter
- RC 660cc injectors still using the stock resistor box

I've used the wizards for setting up the MAP and IAT sensors, and used the injector sizing wizard to change it from the driftmotion-provided 440cc to my 660cc injectors.

Symptoms I'm getting:

- Firing VERY little, like less than once every few seconds and then it's usually a good backfire out the exhaust
- The engine is kicking back every now and then too

These to me tell me that my timing is WAY off, but I'm unsure of what to even look for in the AEM tuner software. I've pulled up the dialog that lists the coils, firing order and CPS tooth count, etc. but I really don't know what they should be. Any ideas? Can anybody running their AEM off the stock CPS tell me what your setup is? Thanks!

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
OK I got it. Turns out I just needed to disable the injectors, and use the ignition timing wizard while cranking to help adjust the ignition sync value. It was way too far retarded so I had to advance it up a bit and it fired up.

Exilium

Sep 18, 2005
Gothenburg
I´m having the same issue. Did you use a timing light while using the ignition sync wisard? My car starts on the stock ecu even without afm, stock o2 and with 1000cc injectors etc. But I can´t get it to start with the Aem.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Exilium;1927402 said:
I´m having the same issue. Did you use a timing light while using the ignition sync wisard? My car starts on the stock ecu even without afm, stock o2 and with 1000cc injectors etc. But I can´t get it to start with the Aem.

I'm stumped why your car would start on the stock ecu without the afm connected. It should only fire for a second and die in a situation like that. However, yes...have someone crank the car with the injectors disabled (or unplugged) and take a look where TDC is with the timing light. Click the checkbox to lock the timing at any value (10 degrees is easiest) and then click the advance/retard buttons in the wizard until you get it right on your locked value. Re-enable the injectors and try again.

Sinistr

Has Been
Jan 8, 2007
ABQ, NM
arknotts: have you got the car up and running? How does it run? I only ask because I am looking at the same EMS from DM.

arknotts

formerly ark86
Jan 9, 2008
Ohio
Sinistr;1931441 said:
arknotts: have you got the car up and running? How does it run? I only ask because I am looking at the same EMS from DM.

It's running and driving pretty well under part throttle. I have yet to get into boost yet though. The DM-provided map worked well with the exception of the initial timing sync, but that may need adjusted for every car anyway.