AEM series 2 on 7mgte Honda unit 30-6050 working!

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
Need to share some excitement. After 2 weeks of fussing with the unit from getting no rpm pickup to no start, the car is now alive! Starts every time but need to give it some throttle initially and slowly bring it down to idle rpm. Now I got to figure out the idle.

The box I have is the 30-6050. I didn't change any resistors just jumpers around. I believe the series 2 can't do multiplexing so I changed that to the dh61 igniter. You can run batch fire but I chose sequential injection with wasted spark.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
why'd you go wasted spark man? Oh and big time congrats dude, not many are running thge series 2 box on a 7m. You may be one of 3 actually. The actualy 7m version is in testing phase officially. But not released as of yet.

Be sure and pop back in flashchat and let me know how everythings going!

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
honestly, ran out of budget. future mode will be ls1 coils after i play with this setup for awhile.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
It was a pain calibrating everything to work/read correctly from knock readings, correct coolant temp readings, etc. can't figure out why my fuel pump doesn't want to turn on initially (after sitting over night) when it's cold outside. kind of baffling to me. but once the pump works, cold starts are fine, car idles up until warm and drops down to 750/800 rpm for idle. other than that, it's been running great. and car passes emissions without an issue.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
i was looking at the AEM v1 "base" tune and it doesn't transfer over to the v2 at all, numbers are off (even the aem tech guys said it doesn't transfer over directly). the fuel map from the v1 cal file didn't work well with the v2 box so I started from scratch practically with the v1 file as guidance. the timing map from the v1 was fine, added a little timing here and there and took out some here and there. there were a lot of things that the v2 had that the v1 didn't have. there were some software issues though that i noticed with aem tuner. for example, on the mitsu evo 8 base cal under options>cam/crank sensor>cam/crank setup, the ign+1/4 says that for mitsu it is activated in the item explanation on the right side but the option itself is off in the base cal file, another example is if i change the phasing for injectors or coils in the coil/injector tab it changes it in the options list but when i change the phasing in the options list it doesn't change it in the coil/injector tab. with that in mind, there's got to be two spots where the software stores numbers. if there are two spots then which spot does the software/ecu use to calculate everything, is it the first, second, or both?

calibrate:

coolant temp sensor readings, injector dead time (battery offset), injector and ignition sequencing, used the wizard for the dwell time for ignition, knock sensor calibration, etc. practically if you look under options>tree>sensors in aem tuner, all those were checked that had a wizard and calibrated if anything was wrong and/or didn't have a wizard.

breakpoints were set to the way I wanted it, more resolution at certain areas and less where it's really not needed. set my limiters, what fuel cut load do i want, what fuel cut do i want, what ignition cut do i want. how long do i want my fuel pump to prime for, what crank advance do i want for starting, etc. every tab that aem tuner had and all options, 2d, and 3d maps were looked at because of the software issue stated above.

practically calibrate sensors to read correctly and check that it is the correct reading. just because a program spits out a number that doesn't mean that the number is correct. tuning is more than just messing with your fuel and timing tables. it's proper scaling of everything. i see this all the time on cars that have been tuned even from a "knowledgeable" tuner. god there was one time where we opened up a map from an evo that a "knowledgeable" tuner (that everyone says is great and that person knows what she/he is doing) tuned. the fuel map was retarded, target afrs on the map where everywhere, timing map wasn't all that great either. the car drove fine and made nice numbers on the dyno with constant afrs even though target afr on the map was retarded. fixed the target afrs on the map by scaling the injectors and maf correctly and a few other things.

anyways, the aem box itself is good but the aem software is not so. hopefully the new infinity-10 will be much better.

87targa

Nov 14, 2005
Utah
you have to change 2 jumpers in the box and that's it. no need to remove or solder any resistors.

pm sent

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Believe it or not, Justin Nenni is doing a Lambo build and is using a Honda AEM V2 to tune the motor. It's the samething that needs to be done, change the jumpers inside the box.