AEM EMS V1 misfire issue

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
Last summer I had my car with a 7mgte tuned and the car ran OK sometimes but i would get random misfires between 2500-3000 RPM. that made the car sluggish and hard to drive in 5 gear when just cruising. i did some research and found that the multiplex caused issues so i put a dh61 ignitor in it and made the coil setting changes in AEM. now the misfires seem to be much worse i can not even accelerate in 5 gear under 4000rpm. the runs very well and pull hard after 4000 rpm so I don't think their is a problem with the cam crank sensor. i looked at the timing map that the tuner made and it seemed very close to the stock map. I have attached my ems calibration file and a few log files. can anyone tell me why is causing this to happen. i just want to know if the problem is in the tune or if their is something wrong like a bad sensor or ground.

here is list of the mods i have: ported head, JE pistons 40 over, precision sc61 turbo, precision 680cc injectors, waalbro 255 fuel pump, front mount inter-cooler w/ 2.5in piping, 3in turbo back exhaust. my ems is using a 3.5bar map sensor, air temp sensor and the gm boost solenoid. EVANS 2012 was the calibration created by the tuner, The DH61 Install is the one I am running now its them same as Evans 2012 except for the coil setting for the dh61. the working map is the stock calibration for the car.

View attachment INTERNAL LOG 7-25-13.stfView attachment TUNING 2 7-25-13.stfView attachment TROUBLESHOOT 1 7-25-13.stfView attachment DH61 Ignitor Install.V1.19.cal

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
Just to make sure, when you put the DH61 ignitor in, did you change your AEM settings as per the instructions? I'd look at your map but I don't have the software installed right now.

Another possible gremlin is the CPS. Sometimes if the air gap isn't set properly, or if its leaking oil, it can give a bad signal and cause issues.

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
yes I changed all the settings in AEM pro I turned off multiplex turned on coils 2 and 3 and the knock for both coils. Is their a way to tell if the sensor is giving a bad signal? I logged the t2per but I am not sure what that signal should look like normally so I have no clue if its a good signal or not. I have also heard that grounds could be an issue especially with such an old car but again I don't know what the signs of a bad ground would be in a log.

Funkycheeze

Grease Monkey
Jul 3, 2009
Calgary
Ground the AEM case to the engine ground wires in the engine harness. Double check the ignition system wiring and AEM setup. And make sure you are using properly gapped plugs.

8T7supra

Jan 6, 2007
New York
thanks for the help I will double check the wiring, I just plugged the ecu in so i will have to go back and ground the case. as for the plug gap I have them set at 25 because the guy tuning it said that it could break up in the high end when the methanol is sprayed. I am going to set them back to the stock gaps and use a boost a spark instead. the car seem to run worse when it get up to full temp im not sure but the intake temps seem kinda high like 150 deg at some point not sure it that could cause any issues. thanks again for the help.