AEM EMS, egt sensor wiring

John Reed

Supramania Contributor
Mar 23, 2007
Portland, OR
simpsons7s;987516 said:
I am trying to wire my greddy egt into the ems but I need a little clarification. Here is a link to the EGT wiring diagram.
http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/greddy_egt/
I want to know if I take the [Yellow- external wiring option wire] and connect it to the 2-6 (EGT #1) RTD type EGT input pin. Any body do this already?

If I am not mistaken, the Greddy gauge uses a thermocouple sensor. You cannot use this directly with the AEM EMS. AEM (and other places) sell a thermocouple amplifier, which you can then hook the output of into one of the EGT inputs. Or you can just buy the RTD sensor from AEM. However, while they are a neat piece, I have found them to be very intolerant of shock waves in the exhaust caused by heavy rev limiter/anti-lag use. A closed end thermocouple with amp would be a much more durable choice (though slower in response).

blake

Apr 25, 2005
Minnesota
That yellow wire is the "External Warning Option". As described in this sheet it is simply switched to ground when you hit the warning level you have set on the gauge (with the twist dial). It doesn't provide a 0-5v signal.

It's a handy feature (though the radioshack buzzer I used was a horrendously irritating sound) but not what you're looking for.

simpsons7s

Its pronounced Nu-clear..
Oct 9, 2005
Riverside, Ca.
O well, anyone want a egt that suddenly became useless to me.:3d_frown:
Thanks for the help guys. I should really get some glasses.

blake

Apr 25, 2005
Minnesota
I'll see if I can find those 6x RTD probes I got from AEM a while back and won't be using, if you're interested.

No promises on when I'll actually get around to it though ;)