AEM + DD Questions

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
HEY TEAM!

For a few months my MK3 will be my DD until i can free up some money for a DD. (Tax Time Next Yea, or Until I find a better Gig) But i was wondering how many people are DD'ing with AEM and like maft pro does it need a little delay to get fired up? I'm going to install remote start so knowing that will make a difference. :icon_bigg

Does the 7M need special ignitors like the 2JZ; such as the HKS Twin Power or AEM Twin Fire?

Using the 7M base maps should get me around for a little while i take it, and tuning as i drive via a wideband is possible?

Would love to join the Motec club and might do so if i take my supra off my Daily Beater list and make it my fun car again. I'll fab up a harness in no time if i get this car off the road again.

Thanks!

Sumeet Kishore

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
Maft-Pro shouldn't have any delay.

AEM EMS will depending on where the cam sensor stopped last, how well it is tuned and if you've waited for the fuel pump to prime. My car frequently starts up like stock.

No changes to the ignition system are needed.

7M base map wouldn't even start my car.

Good luck.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
it all depends on the tune, the system is amazing once its tuned. My car starts right up with a fresh battery in 30-40 F degree weather and thats without coldstart or ISC

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
I dd'ed my old car for 6 months fine.. it did take a few cranks to start on occation, but wasn't bad (2jz swap mkiii though)

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Thanks Everyone!

It's really making me think this over, Anyone out of the box just run it street tune style, or do you recommend i get the car to get tuned right away?

bfr1992t

The quiet one
Oct 29, 2005
Ohio
The AEM EMS itself would not be my concern. Your experience with tuning to make an engine run plus ability to understand all of the quirks of the AEM EMS are what you should be thinking about. You haven't mentioned your experience so I can only assume you have little to none. It likely won't run out of the box and will need considerable work to make it out of the driveway. It's nothing like an AFC or MAFT where the stock computer is still there making everything work.

Sure it can be tuned without a dyno if you know what you're doing. 90% of my tuning has been done with log files from street driving. Don't expect to be able to drive and tune it in real time by yourself - there is too much data to process. Get someone to drive the car for you or set up a decent logging template. The only real time tuning I do is to fix a specific problem such as misfiring at a specific rpm or with another person driving - I still log everything and review once back at the shop or house.

If you don't have experience with tuning a full standalone and need it to be reliable enough to be a daily driver I'd recommend you have it tuned professionally.

Zumtizzle

Can't Wait to Be King.
Oct 21, 2006
Sac-Town, NorCal
Great input.

No experience with the AEM, Looks like i better find a good tuner/shop, first before i proceed with anything. So i guess i better start by understanding the AEM's features, and go from there.

THANKS, bfr1992t