AEM coolent temp. sender issue

macswitch

Aug 25, 2013
ypsilanti MI
hey guys im new to this form, switching from the "other" forum page.
I haven't had any luck with my coolant temp sender. Right now i have the AEM v2 6050 box sold by drift motion, my problem is that the sender indicates correct ambient temperature up to 106*F then it wont read any higher, im using the AEM CLT sender and it is selected correctly in the setup wizard. it has never worked correctly since i have had it even when the original Toyota sender was installed. i have since rewired the sender and have had luck with it reading correctly. but it interferes with my TPS and MAP read outs. i cant find any wiring issues or funky grounds any where. i cant find any info of anyone else having this problem and have not been able to contact drift motion since they have been at shows and they are not in the office. ive been working around this issue and continuing on with my tuning but its getting time to correct it and im still stumped about it. if any one has had similar issues or any idea please share thank you!

my mods are:
1990 chassis, not a spot of rust
7mgte/W58 (auto to manual conversion)
1 piece aluminum drive shaft.
20 over Wiseco pistons
eagle H beams
ARP head studs
ARP main studs
HKS MLS head gasket
Borg SX200 turbo
AEM V2 6050 with 3.5 bar map, air temp and 30-2011 clt sender
Delphi 1000CC injectors
AFPR
custom duel feed fuel rail
LC-2 wide band
everything else if factory, 0 miles since new motor has been dropped in

macswitch

Aug 25, 2013
ypsilanti MI
yes it has its own dedicated wiring... i do realize it originally was not that way but it was working. the problem is i did this a few weeks ago and everything to my knowledge was working. then i shorted the aem sensor reference some how, i don't know exactly how, but i did. I had it repaired at aem, once i got it back installed every thing worked other then i had no TPS and no MAP response everything was in error mode and at 100 %. the only way i made it work was cutting and grounding the brown wire to from the tps to the block and that let the map work and the tps work, but it made my air temp and coolent temp read 10*f hotter and not not go further then 106.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
The sensors have a dedicated ground from the ECU, you can't ground the TPS, IAT, MAP, or coolant temp sensor to chassis ground.

macswitch

Aug 25, 2013
ypsilanti MI
I know that they all have their own dedicated ground... I didn't think it would work... but it did, and it was the only thing that did. I don't want to come off as an idot or anything like that, I'm pretty familiar with wiring. This is my second mk3 and I have had numerous electrical ghost and issues with both that no one on the forums or locals have had. And I have worked through them with success . I know that this one is a pretty simple problem I'm just stumped and curious if any one has had any similar issue with sensor interaction like this with the AEM EMS. I'm going through the wiring diagrams now and double checking everything and making sure I haven't looked over anything or made some dumb mistake... like I'm often known for doing. I have the car in the back room of my work I will do some more on car trouble shooting with the laptop connected tommarrow. As far as the sensors everything is wired correct to the EMS and to their appropriate ground. the only thing that was grounded to the block was the brown wire that goes to the tps. The MAP. CLT and air temp are wired direct to the ems, just to clarify. If 5he brown wire is not grounded the MAP and TPS are 100 at 5v and all temp senders act normal as they should