Adjusting the stance of my 88 MKIII - suggestions?

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I just sold my 87 and it had the Megan's on it and I found them a bit too stiff. Great for handling, but overall I felt that if I was in the car for over an hour I would get a bit of a cramp in my lower back.

So, I am looking at the Stance GR plus Coilovers (driftmotion). Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on these. I am looking at dropping the car, but not so much that I have to remove the wheel well liner on the front fenders. Its a DD in spring/summer (no winter) and Im an old fart.. so I like a bit of cushioning as well.

Also, is there a comparable setup that is TEMS compatible? (I dont mind the ride in mine currently, but you can feel the car weight at a higher speed corner a bit too much). The car is TEMS capable, and because I dont really plan on putting the car on the track, the TEMS may actually be useful although I dont notice a huge difference as it steps through from normal to highspeed stiffness.

I have pillow bushings from the 87 that I have yet to use (not sure why I have them, I just do... lol). I am also assuming that once I do lower the car a 4 wheel alignment will be needed. Most of the driving is on the highway so I am not sure if I should specifiy any specific adjustments or just let them do as the alignment machine instructs. (lower ball joints replaced already)

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated. I am not worried about cost, just dont want to do it and then sit around regretting a stiff '73 vette feel (I remember the vette just pounding everytime I dropped the shift).

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
as far as the stance coilovers go i just installed these in my 89 supra. ride height adjustiblility is great you can go as low as you possible want and they are easy to adjust. as for stiffness they can go from being smooth with a little bit of bumpiness to being horrifically bumpy. the only down side in my opinion is that i feel that there is a lot of oversteer. i drive with my front on full stiff and my rear on full soft and i can easily slide out the rear but then again im running on stock sways and my bushings are probably as old as the car XD but overall they are great coilovers

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah I was figuring to do the bushings and adding anti-sways when I do the suspension (and pillow mounts.. which I have already.. although I am not sure if they will fit whatever coilover I choose. The 87 I had was using Megan coilovers and they made the ride very stiff (regardless of adjustment). Because I am getting closer to the "golden" age, all I want is stance while not reducing my kidneys to dust. I have seen Tem compatible ones and for a daily driver I was thinking those may work best, but overall, I dont know if the ride difference would be enough of a difference between the 3 settings. I have no plans on ever tracking my car or seeing how I can drift the hippo.. so all I want is height and comfort along with no "dip" while doing higher speed curves.

NYsBlueMA

Evo+supra=3 cars
Sep 24, 2009
New York, New York, United States
I have Stance and i'm dropped on stock wheels with a swap love it nice smooth ride sway bars would be nice though stock ones aren't up to the task I recommend them highly they will rub a little but give them about a month to fully settle and your good

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I saw those on fleabay a couple days ago; I thought pretty much the exact same thing. I even found em with free shipping, but I think the problem would be getting them serviced if you blow a damper, unless you know a place locally or can do it yourself.

Aaaaand, I just watched their S14 Nurburgring lap with those coils. Looks pretty legit.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Can get any rebuildable shock rebuilt at any shock place or even motorcycle shock palces.