A340 Wont shift out of first when cold (After sitting over night) for 1st min

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
I bought the car about 5-6 months ago and it has never been "cool/cold out" recently it has been getting into the mid-low 50's at night and after it sits over night when I drive it in the morning it wont shift out of first, if you let off the gas and then get back on it lightly it feels like its not grabbing until it gets to the rpm I started to de-cel at.. It wont shift until about 5k-55k rpm for about the first minute of driving and then after it starts to shift normal again.. Wondering what it could be? Needs a service, maybe filter and fluid change?

Anyways, looking forward to hearing responses or if this is normal or not

Thanks!

NCSUPRA

Aug 9, 2010
North Carolina
I don't have a supra with a A/T , but my T100 has the A340F and it acts the same way. Even after a COMPLETE fluid change with synthetic, its still the same. I think its just cold natured. The fluid starts flowing as soon as you start the car, so i usually warm it up 2 to 3 minutes and it takes alittle less time to shift out of 1st.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
yeah, I did a bunch of reading on it, I guess its programmed that way until the coolant temp reaches 70 degree's Celsius, It keeps the rpms up so the engine warms up quicker..

1970hd

Sep 24, 2010
Decatur Tx.
I think the water temp has to do with when it shifts to O/D, I had a loose connection on the TPS and the trans was in limp home mod and shifted funny, now I found this when I switched ecu 1 through a code and the other one didn't it a cheep look under the hood and push on a connector

rodsterdewd

Oct 8, 2010
Tampa Bay
Hi.
I have an 89 with 147 thou and mine has done the exact same thing for the last 4-5 years. I KNOW that this is not normal for this car as i've had it for over 15 years. I was told by a tranny guy that it was most likely a sticky 1-2 shift solenoid and that cleaning or swapping it with a known good one would be his first test. Before i could test this, i lost reverse. just last week. i think the 1 way clutch let go as it just barely creeps in reverse and you can hear something slipping. Also lost manual low... no engine braking from 2-1. I'll start another thread on questions about that problem shortly but since i saw your post and mine does the exact same thing, thot i'd let you know. get ready to back into down facing spaces... Peace.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
My MR2 does the same thing until it gets warm. Seems to help with the engine getting up to temp quickly. Never does it once it's at ops temp though.

Rod, I have an A340 auto tranny left over from my 2jzge purchase over the summer. It's been sitting since then and I'd love to get rid of it if you want it. PM me about it if interested.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
My Cressida (A340E) started doing the same thing about three years ago. Trans wouldn't shift out of first but after the initial shift it worked fine for the rest of the day. Unfortunately, last week the trans went belly up.

s!ke

JDM Tyte Yo!
Jun 17, 2006
San Jose, California
Has anyone ever really narrowed it down to how to fix this? I dont mean to revive an old thread, but it sounds like people just "think" it helps warm the engine up, but (at least for my car) it doesn't sound normal. It is shifting at way too high of an RPM and then 'jerks' into second because it's so high.

Any help is appreciated.