A/C Refrigerant leak problem...

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
I refilled my A/C with refrigerant, and it worked fantastically for about two days...on the third day, it wasn't blowing so cold anymore, then another day or two after that, the compressor wouldn't kick on at all anymore... I put more refrigerant in, and it worked fine again...so i have a leak.

After i refilled it, I was driving with it on, and noticed some drops of liquid on my passenger floorboard carpet. I felt them, and the liquid was cold, but was water, or at least I think it was...it didn't smell like anything at all. I took off the passenger side kick panel, and there was a small puddle in it. I can't see exactly where it is coming from, but it is coming from in between the firewall and the evaporator. Where could it be leaking from? Thanks! (sorry I'm not being more descriptive and lively...I'm really tired)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Tsk, tsk Johnathan. So you didn't leak check it and just slammed some 134 in there? What'd I tell you about doing AC work right? Good think you didn't put the pricey stuff in huh? ;)

Sounds like your evap drain tube is plugged. The liquid couldn't be refrigerant since refrigerant boils at the temps we mere humans live in. Either that or it gets a lot colder in Southern Cali than I've heard ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Well, you have to fix the leak. Since the refrigerant circulates the oil a leak that big should be easy to spot: look for oil around connections, on hoses, on the condensor, behind the compressor clutch (shaft seal leak) ect. Just follow the system. It could be a leak in the evaporator. Pray it's not.

The evap drain is just what it says, a hose from the evap case to the outside world. It's purpose is to drain the water that condenses out of the air on your evaporator. The same way water forms on the glass of a cold drink. The evap drain is what leaves that puddle under the car after you park it when the AC has been running.

Look behind the right front wheel and you should see a hose going nowhere. Jam a coat hanger of something up there to clear it (no punching holes in the evap allowed). You could also have a leaky evap case gasket but if I recall there's a plastic drain pain under the evap that channels water to the drain.

Course, none of this matters if the AC doesn't work ;)

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
The system can leak anywhere. Usually it's hoses and connections but it can be pinholes in piping, the evap or condensor, the service ports can leak (you have caps on them right?), compressor shaft, compressor/hose manifold connection, anywhere. You must have a pretty good leak to lose it all in a few days.

Look for fresh oil. Put some more refrigerant in and spray a soapy water solution on suspect areas. The best way to find leaks is to pressurizee the system to 200 psi with nitrogen or use an electronic leak detector. You can also inject tracing dye and look for it under UV light. For evap leaks you can stick the detector wand up the drain hose or a dash vent near the evap. There are other ways of leak checking too. Course, you need the gear to do this stuff. If yu're going to do your own AC work at minimum you should buy a manifold gage set and a vacuum pump.

There are also sealants you can put in but they probably won't fix a leak that big and can trash a recovery machine the next time a pro works on the system. Myself, I'm a firm believer you should never put anything but oil, pure refrigerant, and maybe trace dye in a system.

You may or may not smell refrigerant in the cabin. Depends on how big the leak is. The stuff boils off very quickly at ambient pressure and temperature. Better fix it soon because every time air gets into the system it brings water vapor with it and that makes acid. It's probably why you have this leak. The worst thing you can do is let a system sit broken or empty for a long period of time.

I suggest you either take it to a shop or get serious about doing it yourself. That means some tools and study. Buy the Haynes AC book available at most auto stores. It's a good one for beginners.