92 Supra, First time working with Stereo equipment(AH!)

Nov 29, 2006
Vacaville, CA
So the first thing I decided to do after I got off today was to install a stereo. So I figured I would just stop off at the Stereo place where I had my Remote start alarm system put in, and ask a about what i would need for the install. I get there and the owner doesn't give me the time of day and says to come back with the head unit (Total Asshat). Well I was pissed, so I headed home got my head unit and stopped off at another place down the street from my house. So right when I get in there the guy who ran the shop asked me what year Supra I had. (Ok he starts off with points in my book)

I whipped out my Pioneer Premier head unit and started asking questions about how to go about installing it. And this guy was more than helpful with info. The things I want to know are...

1. Does my car have a Powered Amplifier?
2. If it does than will I need new speakers and need to run new wires?
3. Can I run an Antenna in my B pillar (bc my Rear antenna is broken and i want it stealth)
4. I have an 8in Diamond sub, what kinda Amp is best to run in conjunction with it and my set up?
5. Any other pointers or input you have to share!!

BoostJunkie

Nov 27, 2008
Clarksville, TN
1. It might have an amp. 2. No need to run new wires or anything. JUST MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT THE BLUE/WHITE WIRE FROM RADIO TO THE BLUE WIRE ON THE NEW PLUG IN HARNESS FOR THE VEHICLE.

3. I would try to fix the original antenna. Check fuses or the harness on the antenna. Or just replace it. If not there is a window mount powered antenna you can get.

4. What is the RMS of the sub? Is it Dual or single voice coil?

5. Just go from there and ask more questions if you have any.

And if you are wondering, I am an installer. About the first guy you talked to, some people wont tell you how to hook up your own stuff because that is how installers get paid. If we tell you how to do it all we dont make any money.

Nov 29, 2006
Vacaville, CA
I would like to take a minute to thank everyone that posts on this forum for all the help I've gotten over the years. So instead of paying out the wazoo for a stereo install I did it myself; I saved a lot of muney and learned that Yes I Do Have An Amplifier and its under the passenger seat. All I did was buy 2 connections, crimp so wires, and a trial and error process to figure out which speaker connection went in which plug. I now have a WORKING stereo in my car.

Thank you SupraMania!