89+ tail lights on 87 w/ bypassed tail light failure box

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
AGlobalThreat;1135463 said:
I bypassed the tail light failure box when my brake lights went out.

I used the writeup at supracentral.com when I originally did it but the link doesn't work anymore.

http://www.supracentral.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=35&Itemid=42

What I want to know is will I have to change the wiring when I install the 89+ taillights?

i believe so becasue when i did mine (88 to a 91) the reverse light is in a differt location. so you will actually need the light pannel that snaps into the back of the tail light.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The wiring is all the same, you just need the bulb holders which will plug and play with no modifications what-so-ever...

What might be the problem is you were NA, and you have a yellow box, that'll throw a taillight failure because of the difference in resistance between the 3rd brakelight and the LED bar on your 3 piece wing...

Source a turbo or sportpackage N/A ivory box, because those came with LED spoilers...

I've gone trough literally 7 yellow boxes between my Supra and my girl's, and swapping over to ivory boxes always fixed the isue (I even had the taillight rewire done when I was wingless, and rewired to the original setup once I got my wing)...

AGlobalThreat

Acceleration
Apr 4, 2005
Santa Clarita
The bulb holders are coming with the taillights.

I have an ivory box in my garage but never used it since I bypassed the failure box completely.

The 3pc wing is wired in and has been working fine for years.