89+ tail light swap which gasket do I use?

Guitarboarder28

learner
Dec 20, 2010
New Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I have an 87 I swapped to the 89+ tail lights. Which tail light gasket do I order from the dealer, the 87 or 89? Or are they the same one? If it makes a difference I did have to drill two holes to get the lights to fit which ive seen is normal. Thanks

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Kinda obvious really, you need the 89+ seals, although you could save yourself some money by using weatherstripping from a NAPA and just putting it around the area. I bought OEM for about 34.00 if I remember correctly. The pre 89's are very similar (may be same with slight difference for holes) but if you are buying new, get the correct ones.
If I were redoing my seals, I would just make them myself at this point, but if you do a continuous tape, I suggest you put the "joint" at the bottom of the light to prevent any seepage at the top.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
Grandavi;1884921 said:
Just use weather stripping tape (the RV stuff)
All it is is a foam rubber gasket

^ this, I would'nt pay for OEM tail light gaskets. Little crazy if you ask me.

Sent From My HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
odd they are discontinued.. I think your dealership has no clue. I just bought a set last year for my 88 (with 89+ Khouki tails) for about 35 a side. No mention about any difficulty at all in getting them here. Still.. the foam is about 1/8" thick and about 3/4" wide and follows the inside of the lense around the plastic lip that goes into the car (the foam rubber could be taped directly to the metal in all honesty). All it does is prevent water from entering the tail light lens and the car by steering water around the openings. I can take a picture of my 88 tail seal if you want. they are not the same shape, but are the same material.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Yeah, I was actually kind of hoping someone had a dealer out there that still had some. I know I can make them, I just think I'd rather spend the cash to get a good fit on some things and this is one of them.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
They're not that expensive, and they're probably not discontinued. It's usually a lazy ass parts guy that doesn't want to order them from Japan.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Poodles;1885076 said:
They're not that expensive, and they're probably not discontinued. It's usually a lazy ass parts guy that doesn't want to order them from Japan.

Exactly what I was thinking. If I can get something like this OEM, I'm all about it. And as soon as I hung up, I wished I had asked the follow up question about availability elsewhere and locating a pair. I'm betting "discontinued" doesn't necessarily mean that all dealer stock has been depleted too.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
There's plenty of stock on pre-89 and 89+ gaskets in Canada and USA. Not sure why you were told you can't get them, they're definitely still available.

As for someone that's lazy, it usually takes zero extra work to get a part for an older car. They were probably just looking in the wrong place, or inexperienced, or some such thing. Not sure.

Jeff

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
I just got a set from my Yota dealer here in Clarksville for this 90. Don't remember the price, but it was not that bad at all, and I had it within 3 days.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
91Supra313;1885672 said:
I just got a set from my Yota dealer here in Clarksville for this 90. Don't remember the price, but it was not that bad at all, and I had it within 3 days.

Thanks Jimmy. Got a new set inbound as I write this, about 38 bucks total.

Andrehardy

Oct 24, 2012
Los Angeles
Guitarboarder28;1873580 said:
I have an 87 I swapped to the 89+ tail lights. Which tail light gasket front page do I order from the dealer, the 87 or 89? Or are they the same one? If it makes a difference I did have to drill two holes to get the lights to fit which ive seen is normal. Thanks

I think you must try out led lights

Last edited: