89' MK3 Brake System Issues. Brakes LOCKUP/Stick!!

jdmk3

2jzmk3
Mar 28, 2006
Walnut, CA
Seeing if anyone else has experienced this, my mk3 was sitting for a good 4 years with one of the brake lines left removed. The car has recently been up and running but for some reason the rear brakes are locking up and sticking after braking. The front brake calipers and pads were replaced along with new ss lines all around. The OLD stock brake master, brake booster, rear calipers/pads, rotors are still on there. The brakes have been bled over and over to rid of rust that accumulated in the system. But yet it still sticks. Just wondering what the issue could be..

ogre

Car Junkie
Oct 17, 2009
wendell, NC
I vote towards siezed calipers, if you havent bleed the entire system you should try that as well , with fresh fluid... my car sat for 9 years before I got my hands on it all 4 brake calipers were seized and brake lines were rotted thru... the old brake fluid smelt like cat pee...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Brake fluid absorbs moisture, so leaving the system open like that means it's probably has some serious issues from rust and corrosion...

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I would suggest these things, in order...

1. Replace/Rebuild Brake Master Cylinder. - Still not fixed?
2. Replace/Rebuild calipers.

The rebuild kits for all of the above, should be less than $50. Rebeuilding them is VERY easy and let's you REALLY see what's going on inside there. There is probably alot of oxidation in the system and I would recommend getting the caliper rebuild kits which also come with the bleeding nozzle/valve, or getting a new set of those from Toyota (do not use the speed bleeder POS ones, they will break off and make your calipers useless). Flush the system as much as you can, before putting the new components on.