89 - 91 dash and carpet differences

Shaggz00

Apr 26, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
Hey everybody, can't seem to find this with a search... hopefully someone can verify.

I have a 91T manual targa car. It was a former track car, so it's missing tons of interior pieces, and I'm trying to reassemble it with parts bought here and there.

I picked up a lower dash (beneath the steering wheel) from an 89, but it doesn't appear to fit. Am I missing something, or are there structural differences (I was told perhaps due to the airbag)?

Also, I was about to go pick up the carpet from the 89, but now I'm concerned about fitment issues there as well. Crappy thing is,

Can anyone verify fitment? I already looked at the parts breakdown, and can see the part numbers are different, but it's hard to tell from the pictures they show.

I'm gonna keep searching, but thanks in advance.

-Avi

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
My guess (a guess is what I think, not what I know) is that the parts do interchange. The numbers change because the colors and designs change over time. Many people through the years have bolted in and bolted on gauges, tail lights, interior and other things on the different models with minimal fabrication.

Shaggz00

Apr 26, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I checked out the 89 this afternoon, and they are definitely different. the 91 has some extra bracing welded to the dash crossbar, where the 89 has none. it was this extra bracing that prevented the lower dash piece from bolting up. Presumably the carpet is the same, so I picked that up anyways. only time will tell on that one, as it's gonna take a bit for me to get it cleaned up, dyed, and back in.

thanks for the response

supranaut

Rock'n Death with Spikes
Apr 5, 2005
STL
91+ uses an airbag steering wheel, more bracing behind the dash(which you just found out) and that makes -90 dashes a PITA to install like OEM. You shouldn't have any problem with the carpet tho...

Shaggz00

Apr 26, 2012
Silver Spring, MD
I'm gonna just keep searching for 90+ interior parts. What sucks is that the interior used to be shadow grey, but we sold of most of it, and cut the dash for the cage.
At a point I decided to remove the front section of cage leaving the roll bar, so ended up replacing it with a grey dash. Now I have a bunch of mismatched interior parts.

I want to put the heat back in as well, but I think we removed all the associated wiring, soooo that'll probably never happen, haha.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Hey man, I have lots of 90+ parts including a "darker" 91 dash and lower interior pieces. I think we've met before but you're more than welcome to hit me up anytime via PM if you're interested in parts. As far as the carpet, it's all the same.