88 supra non turbo ( vacuum surge tank and vcv)

plunkett81

Sep 25, 2012
illinois
Fixing up this 88 toyota supra that was my moms at one time. when i got it it had a bhg which i replaced and had the head shaved. Anyways, my problem now is I have no vacuum to the throttle body or egr valve. but i have great vacuum off the intake chamber and brake booster. I've done a bench test on the vsv's and the vcv that sits on the vacuum surge tank. the vsv's checked out but the vcv did not as well as the vacuum surge tank check valve on the inside sticks. Ive tried finding replacement parts but had no luck (discontinued). What im experiancing is unspent fuel dumping in the exhaust and burning in the cat convertor and for some reason it ran hot once. Any help on what to do from this point would greatly be appriciated.

plunkett81

Sep 25, 2012
illinois
yes no vacuum at idle. i looked at the website you provided and that explains it. next question is on the vcv that sits on the vacuum surge tank when i check it for resistance it was 36 and in my repair manual it says it should be between 38-44 ohms at 68 degrees. but i hooked it up to a battery to check if it is switching and it was. would the vcv still be good? also the vacuum surge tank how often do those go bad. or at what psi pressure does it allow air to move from it cause im not really 100% sure if it is bad. Im trying to fix unspent fuel from being dumped into the exhaust and burning in the cat convertor cause ive had to replace a new one once already. Could it be that the egr valve is clogged or bad. Or the egr cooler might be clogged or bad. When i took of the intake chamber i did notice that there was alot of carbon build up in it so I cleaned it all out as well as the throttle body.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Well, unburnt fuel could be a number of things, why do you think it's this particular system?

What condition are you plugs in? When was the last time you had the injectors flow tested for spray/pattern to make sure they're properly atomizing the fuel to optimal detonation? Is the engine absolutely bone stock and running on all of it's base settings, IE timing FP etc.

As for if the egr valve is clogged or bad, only one true way to find out.