88 MKIII Tail light probs a lil help?

88MK3.

Ok having a prob with my tail lights on my 88 MKIII. It started with no brake lights and the brake light warning light in the dash on but my 3rd brake light works. I tried changing the bulbs and still no brake lights and when i did i brushed against the driver rear turn light and it stopped working fixed the connection and switched the bulb with the other side fixed that side but it switched to the other side. I have voltage and the bulb is good but no work. Checked the resistance of all the bulbs and they all check out im prolly over thinkin it and just need to change all the bulbs but any suggestions?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just look through the for sale section. There is always several part outs going on. Just get the same color one.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
I bypassed mine a while ago and documented how to do so. Heres a pic I made wayy back when i did the bypass.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

When I did mine, I used a old plug from a mirror controller so it would just be unplug and put a new taillight failure sensor back in whenever i get one.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Or you can just try to find a new one, but I opted for this method and have been rolling with it for years now.

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
supraflydaddy45;1884512 said:
hey can i get a lil more info on doin this bypass i can't find the part an dealer is way too expansive
You dont need the plug from the mirror controller like I did to do the bypass. You could cut the wires and cross them before the plug, but the way I did it makes it so no cutting or modification to factory harness is needed. Just reference the pins/wires from the upper picture I showed.

Andrehardy

Oct 24, 2012
Los Angeles
88MK3.;1861622 said:
Ok having a prob with front page my front page tail lights on my 88 MKIII. It started with no brake lights and the brake light warning light in the dash on but my 3rd brake light works. I tried changing the bulbs and still no brake lights and when i did i brushed against the driver rear turn light and it stopped working fixed the connection and switched the bulb with the other side fixed that side but it switched to the other side. I have voltage and the bulb is good but no work. Checked the resistance of all the bulbs and they all check out im prolly over thinkin it and just need to change all the bulbs but any suggestions?

I used tail lights with led technology so no information about this.

Last edited: