87t 2jz na-t build

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
I bought this car 2 years ago, and rebuilt the JDM 7m that was in it. It was all done up to stock specs save for ARP's and an SS oil hose, and its been a great motor! I recently scored a 2jz-ge out of a gs300 in Dallas for $300 that had a complete harness, ecu, and all accessories, so i couldn't pass it up.

I've decided to go na-t on 7m electronics, due to the amount of success that others have had with this setup. Eventually i'd like to be somewhere in the neighborhood of 500whp on 93 octane. I haven't decided what to do about the compression issue that the na-t presents. I've read a lot of different methods of bringing it down like stacking two gte gaskets or buying an aftermarket gasket, but i think i'd like to get a set of gte pistons with a gte gasket just to be safe.

Just like any build, i'll come across many things that will have me scratching my head. What i can not find on my own, i'll be posting in here for advice and updating my progress.

time for some pics:

p1394776_1.jpg

p1394776_2.jpg

p1394776_3.jpg

p1394776_4.jpg

p1394776_5.jpg

p1394776_6.jpg

p1394776_7.jpg

p1394776_8.jpg

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
sweet! you seem to be doing the same thing as me with almost the same power goals! i hope we can help each other out as things progress! good luck with the build!

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
thanks!

Another thing that is going to slow me down is the fact that my r154 is in terrible shape. The 1st gear thrust washer doesnt even feel like its there, it pops out of gear constantly. As a result, downshifting in to 2nd is only achieved while rev-matching and finding that 'sweet spot.' Not to mention that all of the syncro's whine enough to sound like a supercharger. :aigo:

I'd like to rebuild it myself, as i have access to a press. It will probably be one of the most demanding mechanical feats that i have attempted, but i'd still like to try. I'll get the rebuild kit for the transmission, and the MC thrust washer for safe measure.

As far as the turbo goes, I'd like something that has a quick spool and has the potential for big power if necessary. I'm leaning towards a gt35r, but that's not set in stone. Any input on this would be great...

a quick question:
I know that putting a MHG on a 7m requires the deck to be machined to a 30 roughness average or better, is it the same for the 2jz?

Also, would a set of 272 cams require a valvetrain upgrade? and to what rpm could they efficiently and safely make power?

TooGoode

rediculous DD
Mar 1, 2007
Chandler, Arizona
mr taco;1395488 said:
thanks!

Another thing that is going to slow me down is the fact that my r154 is in terrible shape. The 1st gear thrust washer doesnt even feel like its there, it pops out of gear constantly. As a result, downshifting in to 2nd is only achieved while rev-matching and finding that 'sweet spot.' Not to mention that all of the syncro's whine enough to sound like a supercharger. :aigo:

I'd like to rebuild it myself, as i have access to a press. It will probably be one of the most demanding mechanical feats that i have attempted, but i'd still like to try. I'll get the rebuild kit for the transmission, and the MC thrust washer for safe measure.

As far as the turbo goes, I'd like something that has a quick spool and has the potential for big power if necessary. I'm leaning towards a gt35r, but that's not set in stone. Any input on this would be great...

a quick question:
I know that putting a MHG on a 7m requires the deck to be machined to a 30 roughness average or better, is it the same for the 2jz?

Also, would a set of 272 cams require a valvetrain upgrade? and to what rpm could they efficiently and safely make power?

ok first off. do not put your motor in without fixing the tranny. its not very hard, just a little time consuming. there is enough info here to get it done right.

What type of budget are you working with and how much power do you plan on putting down? you could go with a turbo setup that aaron over at driftmotion has like i am. he has complete kits for $1550:aigo: i'll be going with the dm67:evil2:

considering that the 2j was already made with a mhg, you shouldn't need any machining to just replace it with a tt one.

As far as cams go, they aren't going to do much and are a waste of money unless you are going for a 800hp++ build.

good luck and post some pics as you go along!

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
The tranny is definitely getting fixed first, whether i personally do it or not.

I'd still like to get the deck resurfaced, so i didnt know if i needed to give the shop any specs on it before they treat it like a SBC

Cams are for way down the road when i want more revs, it was more or less out of curiosity that i asked.

I see myself spending about 3-4k on this swap when its all said and done, and i'm not in a hurry so i'm willing save up more to get the right parts the first time.

enawazh

May 8, 2007
long beach
Have you decided on pistons Vs. Thicker GAsket?

I am also trying to decide at the moment. Ive read that using a thicker Gasket alters the squish and that could be bad.

Can any one comment on this.

MaverickA70

desperate parts beggar
Sep 17, 2007
arkansas
I've heard of the quench being an issue even with a thicker gasket, so i'll be swapping in the gte pistons and a stock gte headgasket. That seems to be the proper way to eliminate it. The price of a used set of pistons and a stock headgasket is pretty close to the cost of a thicker aftermarket gasket anyway, so the choice is obvious to me.