87 Supra turbo A340E rebuild

turbofreakdotcom

Nov 23, 2010
Dallas
Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to note I have searched and found alot, just not what I need.:icon_bigg
I am thinking of picking up a master rebuild kit $240, but all kits available are non-turbo which I understand is missing frictions and steels. I can buy those items individually though I wanted to see if the GTE clutches are different thicknesses due to the extra friction. Looking at the FSM it looks like the GTE has an extra clutch in the Overdrive Brake and an extra in the Forward Clutch.
Can an A340 Guru help me out?

Thanks,
Chris

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I could not find one for the turbo trans after searching. Ended up buying the non turbo kit and 're using one of the disc and plates on each of the clutch packs that required an extra.

turbofreakdotcom

Nov 23, 2010
Dallas
Thanks for your reply. Did you happen to take some dial calipers to any of those clutches?? There are a couple different sizes available for the forward clutch. Guess they are cheap enough to just pick up 1 of each.

# 97108 Friction, A340 Forward clutch, 1985-UP
.067, 40 tooth …… Common brand – Raybestos

# 97108A Friction, A340 Forward clutch, 1985-UP
.083, 40 tooth …… Common brand – Raybestos

turbofreakdotcom

Nov 23, 2010
Dallas
Makco Transmission parts specifies the Forward clutch further adding a difference in year vs friction size. They also specify one more friction to their list for 92 up......

# R97108 Friction, A340 Forward clutch,
Friction, Forward .067" (40T) (93-Up)

# R97108A Friction, A340 Forward clutch, 1985-UP .083"
Friction, Forward .083" (40T)

And this one:
# R97108C Friction, A340 Forward .078" (40T)
Friction, Forward .078" (40T) (92-Up)

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
There were different thickness flanges for I believe two clutch packs. You are following the tsrm correct? It has all the specs for.. everything actually. I just got done rebuilding mine so if you get stuck PM me and I'll try to help out although I don't have second gear.. so I'm not sure how much my advice will be worth.

Last edited:

turbofreakdotcom

Nov 23, 2010
Dallas
I am a little lost here. The trsm does have the flange sizes specified, but not the friction thicknesses. If I was looking to pick up an extra friction and steel to complete the pack I would think I would need to know the thickness of those two items instead of the flange. The trans is not apart yet, trying to make sure I have everything before I start rebuild, unless there is no way to know unless the pack is installed and measured....

Last edited:

turbofreakdotcom

Nov 23, 2010
Dallas
Thanks! Would be great to see that. The trsm on the Cygnus site only states "If the lining of the disk is peeling off or discolored, or even if parts of the printed numbers are defaced, replace all disks".

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Damn i just looked, no disc thickness listed. If i remember (which i've probably forgotten) most of them were 8mm and the ones that were worn down to the metal were 4 and 5mm. If you are looking for a way to tell them apart, just set one on top of each other and compare.
Just one thing though, if you haven't done any auto trans rebuilds just make sure you follow the guide in order and make note of everything. Also give yourself plenty of clean room to set parts. Most rebuild kits come with parts for other cars with the a340e trans so there will be a few bits left over so don't let that freak you out too much. If you have any questions just PM me and i'll try and answer them the best i can.

turbofreakdotcom

Nov 23, 2010
Dallas
Thanks! You are quite helpful..... And thank you for the future help. My machinist/bass player, lol, told me to bring the trans over to the shop and he will help rebuild it hence why I am trying to gather everything I need before hand. Get it done and get out!
I have previously shimmed the accumulators and upped the pressure, but I will will be installing the Transgo reprogram kit this time around.