87 supra security issues

bbullsj

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
I have an 87 supra that im having issues with the security system. I drove it a couple days and it started fine. The next time I went to start it I turned the key but got nothing. No click, no fuel pump, nothing. I disconnected the battey for a full day but still nothing. I read up and found to tear the door apart for the door lock sensor. Between playing with that and disconnecting the battery it fixed it and it started it fine for a couple times. So I read some more and grounded the Theft Deterrent computer by cutting the orange and blue wire and attaching it to ground. I jumpered the wire to start and make sure it would work and it did! I was very happy so hardwired it to a ground bolt properly. I got 3 more starts out of it and probably 15 minutes of driving and then the same thing. No clicking and no starting.

The drivers side door lock is seized so iI don't have that option of disabeling the system.

I had remembered reading something about the starter relal going bad. I didn't have an extra one and didn't have a diagrahm of which one was which so i took the 5 of the relays that looked the same from the drivers side kick panel and swapped them all to a different spot. Reconnected the battery but it still won't start. Now when i turn the key there is a click that sounds like its coming from behind the glove box area and I can hear the fuel pump kick in and run when I hold the key down but the starter doesn't engage.

Am I still looking at security system issue or possibly high resistance in the starter or wiring when the engine gets warmed up or hot? Im about to sell the car im so frustrated.

bbullsj

Jan 27, 2011
Michigan
I had a thought, and tapped hard on the starter with a long extension and sure enough, it cranked right over after that. $40 for a new starter and it should be all fixed.