87 mk3 completely dead :/

apryor06

Apr 13, 2012
California
I am new to forums but thia is my 3rd mk3 and this is the first time happening. So i was putting a 420watt amp and a 10" sub to my aftermarket sterio. When i hook everything up and put my neg terminal back on it sparked the once and i tryed to turn the key everything is dead. I have a 70A fuse connected to my hot wire for my amp. I have checked all fueses, fusible links, and retraced my steps several times. I have also tryed a brand new battery from other car and still completly dead. No lights, no dash signals, no nothing...... Please help looking for some guidence from my fellow mk3 owners ! Thank you.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
It might be bad battery terminals. You did see spark correct? make sure your amp is connected correct also.

apryor06

Apr 13, 2012
California
I changed my terminals before reattaching my battery and the main neg on the block is good and the smaller neg to the engine bay fuse box is good too and still cant find whats wrong.... It was turning on and driving before installing the sub an amp and i mad sure my amp is hooked up properly as well :/ ..... Could it be ignition switch ? Thanks for the help !

supra13's

Banned
Oct 20, 2009
Boonville, Indiana
There is no smaller neg going to the fuse box. The smaller wire that comes out of the bottom of the fuse box is a positive wire. It should be hooked to the + side of the battery. The neg side just has the heavy cable from the battery to the block and A smaller wire that should be bolted to the chassis.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
But your dome lights should still come on even if you put in a second battery. There is a possibility that the spark caused the terminal to go bad. If you still have the old terminal, try swapping it back to see if it works. That has happen to me before, but not from installing the amp. There could've been a chance that you had the wrong wires at the wrong place at the wrong time.

apryor06

Apr 13, 2012
California
I found the issue i went back to my batt and my pos cables have metal ends on them to bolt them to a terminal so i cut thos off and ran str8 pos connections and everything is working now so i installed new end peices and connected my batt and she fired up F.T. ! But. Now when i drove it my boosting is all effed up :/ and stalled my stock boost gague isnt working but at the moment but it most def. is not driving right.

tyang82

May 12, 2011
Milwaukee
I figured it was the terminals. You have to drive the car a bit for the ecu to reset before you can check for trouble codes.