87 7mgte and 91 7mgte difference...?

MK3LVIN

Nov 3, 2012
Bay Area & Lathrop California
Hello Supra owners!

Can anyone tell me what are the difference of the 87 7mgte to the newer 91 7mgte? Difference about the head? About the Block? If there are any...

I have an 87 GTE Block at home and I'm planning on swapping the block to a 91 Turbo Supra.

91 Supra has a hole on the block so pretty much the block and pistons are trash.

For the 87 GTE Block I'm planning on getting new pistons, rings, bearings and etc to swap in the 91 Supra to get it running again.

Thanks in advance guys and girls.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Just swap over the sensors and wiring and Ecu and your fine.

There was like 23 head revisions over th years. And the later blocks are stronger. But other than that it will work fine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Slight changes here and there. Iirc there is a number on them somewhere. But it really doesn't matter. Finding a head that is not soft is the most important part as a port and polish will be better than any of them.

MK3LVIN

Nov 3, 2012
Bay Area & Lathrop California
Thanks for the knowledge guys.

I'm picking up a 91 Supra manual this Saturday that's why I can not tell what will be the differences are on the block.

Hoping everything will work out fine.

Thanks again for the replies.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
i don't think it's the block that's the big deal, it's just getting all your connectors working... all that involves is yanking some sensors off the 91 block... you'll see ;) it was sortof a PITA, but it wasn't really that bad... just some old, stubborn parts that's all...

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
hvyman;1899140 said:
Just swap over the sensors and wiring and Ecu and your fine.

There was like 23 head revisions over th years. And the later blocks are stronger. But other than that it will work fine.

hate to bring back an older thread......
i have an 87 engine that i'm putting in my 90. do i need an 87 ecu, and wiring harness? i was under the impression that i could just transfer all the bits from my current engine. intake manifold, throttle body, exhaust manifold, etc.....
also, is it possible to remove the egr setup and the vsv valves under the intake? a lot of builds i've seen have these items removed.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
You want to use the harness that matches the year of the car for best results.

Manifolds are all the same between the years. Different for turbo and na tho.

Rollus

Jun 2, 2011
Paris, France
hvyman;1938005 said:
You want to use the harness that matches the year of the car for best results.

Manifolds are all the same between the years. Different for turbo and na tho.

In addition, I'm pretty sure knock sensors have to match the ECU and harness, and IIRC TPS and ECU have to match the transmission. Other sensors are compatible over years.