7MGTE upgraded (550/57 trim) CLUTCH question...

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Okay.. the only thing worse than a little information is too much information.. lol.. I am a little overloaded with too much research, not enough understanding.

I currently run a stock clutch (no idea of mileage..) and am doing a 57 Trim upgrade (lexus afm and 550's supporting it, but no upgraded intercooler yet).

On the top end I am planning (hoping) to run about 15 lbs boost. Now.. what clutch setup should I get if I am only street driving the car and dont want chatter or a really strong clutch pedal feel?

I was looking at a stage 2 Competition clutch (or Stage 3) and I cant afford a 2000.00+ higher end clutch. Have seen some RPS, etc.. 6 pucks and I would like to have a smoother clutch than the 6 puck provides.

Any thoughts?

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
Go with the ACT Street and Strip disc 165.00 from Drift motion and a ACT Heavy Duty or Extreme pressure plate. Honestly the Extreme pressure plate pedal feel isn't that bad, I daily drove it for a long time and never had a problem. However I am used to driving cars with triple disc clutches so maybe I've just gotten used to the pedal feel.

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
I'm running a spec stage 1 (400ft/lb rating) and I have no problems with it. Though given you're going to run a 57trim and 550s you can eclipse the 400ft/lb mark, I have heard that the spec stage 2 + 3 (460-520ft/lb ratings) clutches are very streetable and looking at MVP's website for one they are listed for less than 550.00.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Spec Stage 2
Holds up to 460ft/lbs of torque, has a full face disc and only a slight increase in pedal feel. It should be very streetable.
I had an Action Stage 2 clutch it was good but I remember it chattering a bit. That could also be from the light weight flywheel (I think I’ll stick with stock on the next build)

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I had a spec stage 1, and with the 60-1 turbo at 16 psi, it let go at 4000 RPM. It stank in the car for 2 days, and the clutch was toast. Flywheel cracked, generally didn't look very pretty.

It did last about 3 years before this, though, so it's not like it was ALL bad. I went straight the the ACT stage 3 though

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I was looking at Stage 2 clutches and thought the rating was a bit underbuilt.
Was thinking of Stage 3, but wasn't sure if I should go with ACT, Competition Clutch or any of the ebay ones. ebay parts still scare me, although some do look decent.

IN the end, I was thinking about going with this clutch...
http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-ts2-hdss.php

I think the clamping force/load should be sufficient for my build, but.. experience knows better. (which is why I am asking)

88SupraT

Boosting Supra
Apr 4, 2005
North Vancouver, B.C.
When I looked at the spec stage 2 one of the options was that it could be upgraded (they call is stage 2+)to hold more power and keep the driveability of it. Maybe check and see what the upgraded rating for it is?

peste noire

Jan 11, 2012
los angeles,CA
That act clutch should be good. I bought one a while ago never put it on since my stock clutch I holding for now. I was thinking about selling mine too.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I drove a 6 puck, and didn't mind it, but I wanted to steer away from it as I found it a bit "un-clutchy" for my foot. It help perfectly well, it just felt subtly different. Thats why I got the spec2+ clutch, its non-pucked and should hold fine. My OEM would probably have held as well as generally speaking the Supra has a good stock clutch. I don't do first gear launches very often (if I do it once a year, that would surprise me.. lol). More of my driving is upper end highway, there isn't many places you can safely unload the Supra's potential off the line here... and I'm too old to do silly things in residential areas.. :)

Just hoping that the clutch has a normal feel and holds well at the upper end when the boost kicks in.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Grandavi;1890620 said:
I'm too old to do silly things in residential areas.. :)
I was too old to do silly things in residential areas when I was 16. That's what the industrial parks were for. :D

The stage 1 that I had was indistinguishable from the stock clutch to me, and I was comparing that to the stock W58 clutch at that. Objectively, I know that there was more pedal effort, but I still don't feel that with the stage 3 that I've got now. (Probably would if I were to compare side-by-side.) With the stage 2 (or 2+) I'd expect that the full-face disk would make engagement the same, so it would be greater pedal effort, but the same engagement. The extra pedal effort will disappear quickly enough.

I do find that the 6 puck clutch is a lot more on/off, with very abrupt engagement, but I'm used to it now.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wondering... do I need to do anything special with the flywheel for that clutch i am getting? (Haven't seen its condition, but suspect after 30,000 km minimum wear (dont know if they touched it at rebuild) not sure if I will need to replace or recondition it...