7mgte tuning/tuner

87beast

Apr 28, 2013
Idaho
I'm trying to find the cheapest/easiest way to tune my car. Such as the subarus have a "Cobb". I just want to know if there's anything like that, that I can get for my 87 supra. I know there is an afc but I don't even know where to start with that. Please help, thank you

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Simple answer: no.

Slightly explained: Newer cars have the ability to 'reflash' their ECUs to accommodate a new calibration/tune, where no Supra ever came with that ability. There are only 2 ways to tune a mk3.
One is to install a piggyback like an safc/apexi/etc and have a professional tune it (don't try to tune your car if you haven't done it or haven't been trained on how to do it). They work ok, but they have limitations and run off of manipulating the sensor inputs to the factory ecu which can lead to unexpected complications. *Note: In my opinion, if you're aiming over 350-400hp, don't use a piggyback in the interest of reliability.

The second option is a standalone ECU. Think like AEM/ProEFI. These have the advantage of being fully adjustable and being able to accommodate any mods you may do to the car. Again, only a professional should tune the car with this, even more so since it has full adjustability (you can melt your engine more easily if you'r not careful). Bonus factors being that you can tune the engine for multiple kinds of fuel and be a re-flash away from running said fuel. (pumpgas tune/racegas tune/E-85 tune, all you need is a laptop to change calibrations. The standalones are also more adaptive on setup- the tunes are more stable since you give the ECU information about your injectors, coils, wideband, etc. Piggybacks don't have that, so their tunes can change day-to-day.

This is all opinion with personal experience, I know people have had good luck with piggybacks, but not me. I chose the standalone path before I even started to build my engine, knowing I was aiming outside of piggyback reliable control ranges. Also, don't cheap out when it comes to engine control- nothing can destroy an otherwise healthy engine faster than sloppy/bad tuning.