7mge complex mods

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
I am building a new 7mge for my 87 supra and I wanted to know what mods I can do to increase and maximize the efficiency of the motor. Things like aftermarket cams, high compression pistons, adjustable cam gears and adjusting cam timing and anything that can be done to the valve train system.

thanks, wilcox

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
spoolme;1950833 said:
better off swaping a turbo motor in if you want power.

+1

Why spend all kinds of money to get some more power out of a GE when Toyota spent millions to get the GTE to where its at...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
There was someone doing a crazy build trying to hit 300HP...that he didn't hit as he ran out of money.

If he spent the same amount on a turbo motor he would have been double that power.

Wilcox

Jan 23, 2013
Great Falls Montana
so i should just install arp head studs and a metal hg and save up for a 1u or a 1j? i really wouldnt mind a 7mgte but i cant find one anywhere for cheap. i already have a good condition used 7mge and a new w58. i plan on saving the w58 for a later 1uz swap, but for now i want to make the 7mge more peppy, i dont need to put out a bunch of power i just want an efficiant motor thats not wasting power that could be taken advantage of.

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
Wilcox;1950970 said:
so i should just install arp head studs and a metal hg and save up for a 1u or a 1j? i really wouldnt mind a 7mgte but i cant find one anywhere for cheap. i already have a good condition used 7mge and a new w58. i plan on saving the w58 for a later 1uz swap, but for now i want to make the 7mge more peppy, i dont need to put out a bunch of power i just want an efficiant motor thats not wasting power that could be taken advantage of.

To answer your question, yes you should save up for a 1u or 1j or a GTE if you are looking to make good amounts of power.

You started the thread by asking about complex mods such as internals and such, that is why we thought you wanted to make tons of power. If you are just looking for some pep then exhaust and intake on the GE will help that...I dont think you really need ARPs and a metal HG for a GE...the GTEs are the ones notorious for blown HGs.

Sounds like you should really think about what you want, you want lots of power? just a quick cruiser with good MPG? want to stay N/A? after you figure that out it will be much easier to budget and get to your goals..

SupraTurbo_MK3

Jan 6, 2011
Amherst Ohio
I have seen going from NA to turbo come out really good. But if it were me I would do a swap, simply because if you haven't done it before, or all ready have owned and understand a turbo engine. It can be a real headache. The 1UZ, the 2JZ, 1JZ, 7MGTE, when built right are all good engines, it just comes down to what you want, and what you are willing to spend. Either way the guys on this site can certainly guide you through it and prices on parts are really good.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Poodles;1950844 said:
There was someone doing a crazy build trying to hit 300HP...that he didn't hit as he ran out of money.

If he spent the same amount on a turbo motor he would have been double that power.

That crazy guy was me I think, didn't run out of money...think I hit close to 300..but you are right about going turbo:)