7M-GE upgraded spring for oil pump? Upgraded oil pump hose?

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
I've seen information about 7M oil pressure, about oil pressure being low at idle even when warmed up. And if you upgrade the relief valve spring in the oil pump, it will increase the oil pressure at idle and improve 7M reliability and life span. Upgrade the stock oil pump hose to a larger steel braided hose will improve oil flow. These parts can be found at driftmotion.com

My question is, is this only for necessary 7M-GTE or NA-T engines? Boosted engines? I'm just doing a complete overhaul on a 7M-GE and wondering if I should do these modifications to it.

Last edited:

57Bonus

Dec 14, 2022
Since the oem oil pump line is known to be restrictive, I would upgrade that line whether turbo or NA.
On the braided hose, there seems to be differing thoughts on whether it's good to go inside the engine. I installed the hardline from Arizona Performance on my NA before going turbo and pretty satisfied with the install and results.

On the relief valve spring from DM, some owners have reported they lose tension after a while and most recommend just installing shims if you are wanting more oil pressure. Whether it's necessary, lots of opinions out there, lol.

Reactions: toyota.s

toyota.s

Nov 2, 2022
Since the oem oil pump line is known to be restrictive, I would upgrade that line whether turbo or NA.
On the braided hose, there seems to be differing thoughts on whether it's good to go inside the engine. I installed the hardline from Arizona Performance on my NA before going turbo and pretty satisfied with the install and results.

On the relief valve spring from DM, some owners have reported they lose tension after a while and most recommend just installing shims if you are wanting more oil pressure. Whether it's necessary, lots of opinions out there, lol.
Yeah I figured the factory oil line would be a good modification, as far as oil pump spring modification if it loses tension over time would it be the same as the OEM spring at that point or worse?

57Bonus

Dec 14, 2022
Yeah I figured the factory oil line would be a good modification, as far as oil pump spring modification if it loses tension over time would it be the same as the OEM spring at that point or worse?
The OEM spring does seem to keep it's tension for a longer time than the driftmotion spring, this is what I gather from reading other folk's experience from Supra and 7M engine facebook groups. I honestly do not have experience with the driftmotion spring or using shims/spacers.
Oil pressure on my 7M pretty much stays close to oem specs so I haven't touched the relief valve spring.

Reactions: toyota.s