6 speed getrag oil

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Use Toyota Brand v160 oil for the 6-speed ONLY - This is VERY important (2 quarts)

These trannys do not like other fluids.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
emiliorescigno;1528608 said:
Why is this? (Just curious)

As you may or may not know, the Getrag V160 uses something akin to automatic transmisison fluid. Experience has shown that a good number of off the shelf ATF fluids cause the bushings to swell in this transmission.

Remember, this is a transmission that can easily cost $2000 to rebuild or if you can find one used, it won't be cheap. New, it's a $5k box.

There are some fluids that work other than the Toyota one, but you have to be very careful to get the exact right one, or you'll have problems.

If you can't get V160 (i.e. - your local dealer is an idiot, you have to have it running today, etc..) then you can try Royal Purple Synchromax. Other than that, I have not personally used anything else in the V160. I have however seen dozens of MKIV's with fucked up trannys that used other ATF fluids however.

Edit: I did a little searching and found some backup documentation directly from the manufacturer (Getrag) of this tranny:

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/getrag/no_redline/getrag.html

In the above link, a Getrag rep's letter explains why using Redline trashed this owner's V160.