6.5" Speakers in your door...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Okay, I'm kind of curious to see if there's enough real interest here.

Recently, I got a set of 6.5" speaker panels out of a JZA70. Those who've seen them will know that they're not exactly the most thrilling things, being basically just an open baffle for the speaker. No enclosure, no protection for the speaker from the elements. Basically for good sound, they're a flop.

It does, however fit into a Mk3 door, even the earlier models that had the 4" speakers. (It just doesn't all fit behind the grille.)

My plan is this: I want to use that as a template to build an aluminium/fibreglass enclosure that will hold a 6.5" speaker. Maybe even a fairly beefy one, like the Kicker SSMB6 speakers that I got off of eBay. These are intended to fill in that midbass hole that seems near impossible to get right with 4" speakers, and will help bring the bass to the front of the car.

So, if I make these, would people be willing to buy them? I intend that it should be a direct fit for 6.5" speakers, no modifications to the door or panel needed. Just pull out the 4" speaker box, and bolt in the 6.5" box, feed in your wires, and go.

What would people be willing to pay for a drop-in solution like that? I'm making at least ONE set, but if it's worth my time, I may make more. It depends on what people would be willing to pay, and what it's going to cost me in material.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Now, of course this brings up the next part of my planned build... What to do about the front stage. The SSMB6 speakers only play up to about 500Hz, nowhere near high enough to cross over to a tweter, so that means that I need to fit another midrange speaker up front, as well as a pair of tweeters.

The tweeters I'm hoping that I can fit into the A pillars, but I'm not going to even think about a midrange speaker up there. :D That doesn't leave a lot of options. Kickpanels would be the obvious solution, and maybe if I can arrange something decent in that department I'll consider it. I intend my car to be a driver's car first, though. So I'll need to consider a way to get the sound that I want from the space that I have. No getting in the way of the clutch or even the dead pedal is considered acceptable in my books.