4" gem?

daught

Oct 5, 2007
Oakville
They have 4.5" mounting holes but they fit 4" holes. Would that fit? "old-school" speakers... I like that. It seems these days most speaker cones are designed to make a nice place to display company logo.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I bought those ebay Boston speakers. They are 4.5in, so they have the correct flange to fit the rear factory boxes, but the shielded magnets are too big to fit. I have yet to remove the shield, but that may shrink things enough to fit. Although they are "new", they are old stock from circa 2000.

They will not fit the factory flange for the front 4" door boxes (without mods). Any of the hundreds of 4" speakers on the market are drop-in for the front, and you can fit bigger speakers by deleting the boxes as described by many posts on here, or by substituting the 91-92 pods.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Reviving the dead..... I following up very late the outcome of installing the Boston 4.5in speakers in the rear boxes.

It took some work, I had to remove the mag shields and grind the outer ferrite ring to fit into the cramped factory box. The result is a modest improvement in the performance from stock, but nothing to get too excited about. Definitely a better result than putting 4 inchers in with a flange plate.

img4527.jpg

img4528s.jpg

img4529.jpg

img4530h.jpg

img4532.jpg

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
I know speakers in the back are very popular, here, and everywhere else, but what if you bring that speaker up front where you seat? instead of having it play in the back, where no one seats? well its a personal choice, but its an option. I'm just saying. 5 1/4 woofers fit pretty good in the front AND you can keep your stock 4". Soundstaging makes a world of difference.

Attachments

• DSC00654.jpg
    DSC00654.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 109

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
The best 4" speakers I have are in the doors of my Toyota pickup right now, they are older Kenwood, composite cone, no tweeter.. they are probably almost 10 years old. Run them off a newer Panasonic deck and they sound very good, better than the 6.5" Phoenix Gold's I have, better than the 6x9 Soundstreams aswell.

Kenwood-LS-M61.jpg

they look just like those minus the housing of course.

Zazzn

l33t M0derat0r (On some other forum) n00blet here
Apr 1, 2005
Toronto/SF Bay area
I just bought 92 enclosures and put 6 1/2 " speakers in, no base since they are not amplified by anything other then the deck but good enough for me.

Just need to get a sub back in the car and all set... a Kicker 8" square sub will do the trick.