#4, 1987 turbo targa - SupraWhite Project

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
So it was time for my Father to get his 4th Supra, so I tracked him down a relatively clean Canadian chassis to start.

33781540003_large.jpg

33781540002_large.jpg

33781540004_large.jpg

33781540006_large.jpg

As for the engine, we are unsure right now, 7m or 1J, turbo for sure...
He has been picking up some nice goodies along the way, which help alot in the motivation department.

But questions I have prior to my sandblasting and epoxy priming later this week are;

1.)
I am considering stich welding most seems from the inside, this is a targa car so my father has mentioned that body flex was very apparent in his 86.5 (#3) and I was thinking this should help a lot, and now is the time, before fresh paint and it gets put back together..

Stich welding good idea? alleviate some chassis flex?

2.)
Bushing kits - I think I will pull ALL the suspension and F/R crossmembers for powdercoating, which companies should I look to for a COMPLETE bushing kit, including rear subframe bushings...

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
Stitch welding will greatly increase the torsional rigity of the car, which is what you want. However be prepared because it is going to be more rigid than you might think. Take your time, as this can take a week. Go through the car and prep the areas you plan to weld. YOu may want to mark all the spots where you want to weld where to weld with a sharpie. They began spot welding. Space them out about an inch apart. Do not do a continuous or seam weld. This will warp the shit out of the car. Get situated and go to work, but do not just go down a seam in a line. Do one spot here one spot there. Jumping all over the place will minimize the risk of warping. When working in an area where you really want to control heat, you can put silly putty around where your going to put the spot, and the silly putty will act as a heat sink. Take your time and good luck.
Don't just take my word for it. Do plenty of reseach before going in there. Plus im sure some of the other guys here have advice for you.
DSC01664.gif

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^I hear you about that "it'll take a week"

2 days digging out seam sealer, sandblasting the seams tomorrow to get rid of any remaining sealer/bubblegum

do you care to share any more of your seam welded photos? did you chase seems in the firewall area and targa hoop?

you (lewis) welded topside and bottomside, basically anywhere you could stick a weld without interfering with re-assembly?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I think it may be time to mention this isn't my first rodeo,
I slow danced before; my personal summer Daily driver;

S13GG;435683 said:
Oct 2006 - Auction yard - no brand

26150090076_large.jpg

Aug 2009 - In front of my house

26150090077_large.jpg
son240sx.org S13GG is me

EDIT: Another question; without acid dipping the chassis, what is the best method to remove rubberized undercoating? paint stripper aerosol?

Last edited:

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
It very rare to see someone who knows how to parallel park! Very nice 240.

#04;1410236 said:
EDIT: Another question; without acid dipping the chassis, what is the best method to remove rubberized undercoating? paint stripper aerosol?

I wouldn't think laying under the car spraying aresol would be a good idea. I'd love to know the answer to this myself, so I will stay tuned.

Last edited: