2jzgte Wiring info

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Hello Supra owners! I have been trolling this site for about a week now scraping up info for a vehicle Im building with a 2JZGTE. I have read every thread I could find with wiring info but they all seem to be specific to a certain chassis that the motor is going into.

Imagine if a person was building a street rod from the ground up with a 2j. Thats pretty close to what Im doing. The vehicle its going into was carbed so there is no engine harness and I dont intend on running stock gauges or idiot lights.

I purchased a 2JZGTE from an Aristo and want to keep the auto trans. My question is, what is the bare minimim of wiring to actually make the engine run and the trans shift?

Im not a stupid kid but at the same time Im not a 2j God either. I learned a long time ago that if you dont have brains, borrow them. Anyone that can get me this info I will gladly paypal you for your time. Here is a quick list of what I do and dont need:

I DO need:
1. Engine to start and run self sufficiently off of the factory ECU making its own enrichment and timing adjustments as if it was in the original car.
2. Trans to shift

I DONT need:
1. Gauge wiring info(running all aftermarket)
2. AC and other accessory info
3. Traction control
4. Charging system info

I would like to remove the unnecessary wiring from the harness for a cleaner look if possible.

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
OH NO!!!! I guess if I cant change my user name I can only hope this dude pulls a ton of chicks and they all confuse me for him. Knowing my luck, thats not the case.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I've done what your just venturing out to do and it is a boatload of work to say the very least. Far more than I had anticipated and I was ready for the worst. But it can be done.

I took an aristo 2j and swapped it into my MA70 which at the time was completely devoid of any and all wiring since I had stripped it bare for frame strengthening (double the spot weld, foam fill the frame) and fresh paint (14 layers in the end).

I also pruned my stock aristo harness of all unneeded and not wanted wires. My advice would be just to go slow and make sure you re-ziptie the branches of all the wiring loom points as you go so that you don't end up with a complete rats nest.

I pruned out, all wiring related to A/C, Autotrans (I went with my r154), Trac control, Cruise and unused aristo functions and plugs like VSV since I went big single. This left me with a much smaller and neatened up specific harness for my car. I also went with LS1 coils which eliminated my ignitor and ignitor related wiring. You can only do this however if you go with a standalone, I went with the PNP AEM series 2 for 1993+ 2jz twin supras.

For specific wiring info and pins etc you can't find a much better resource then the NL site about doing the 2j swap...here's a link.

http://www.supras.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=50

And yup I mistaken thought you were the other jones at first too.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
The best and easiest information you can find here is from the user - SATAN . Thread title should be something like "wiring peer review".

Its simple and straightforward as it has the pins/wires matchup you will need without the crapload of chatter.

If you can't find it, pm me your email and i'll get that information out to you.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Thank you very much for the info. I did find the wiring peer review. It will be very helpfull. Im swapping this motor into a 1981 kp61 Starlet. Its so unbelievably tight that the wiring will be a nightmare.

Would you suggest a standalone over the factory ECU?

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I totally agree with the reference to the "Satan - wiring peer review" thread. Can't believe I didn't mention that the first time. It helps immensely.

Standalone, well that really depends on what your planning to do with the motor. Leaving the stock twins and such then more than likely the stock ecu will work fine for ya. The AEM series 2 is simply an unplug the old and plug in the AEM when you do decide to go standalone so it's a complete breeze to upgrade to at any time. The series 2 also seems to have eliminated any issues that were with the series 1 unit that I have read about.

Good luck to ya, that is going to be a real tight sqeeze. You should make a build thread here and shaer with us your adventures in that. I would love to see it come along.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I was going to use the auto tranny as well, but ended up going a different route. I removed all of the excess wires/connections from my existing harness and think I have some pics/info in my old "build" thread.

Many of the pics won't work, since I changed hosting a couple of months ago. I'll try to go in there and update the links when I get a chance.

You may need a shifter assembly, maybe from Aristo or MKIV (for all the signals/features from shifter to work). You will also need the kickdown switch, which normally goes underneath the accelerator pedal.

Good luck!

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Are there any manuals short of the getrag that bolt to a 2j without crazy adapters or hard to find bellhousings? I will search for that info since Im sure its on here. Thanks for the info dark master lol

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever used the auto in a custom build? I dont wanna waste my time clearancing this trans tunnel for an auto if its a lost cause.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
The ECU looks for specific signals for the auto tranny... Speed sensors, Neutral/shifter position sensors, etc. That's why I was trying to use an MKIV auto shifter in mine. The kickdown switch is another one that you may not normally have.

I had a custom driveshaft made for mine and it fit well. Cost about $400 balanced with new carrier bearing etc. You may be able to have a one-piece made for alot cheeper. the driveshaft shop will tell you what measurements are necessary (and how to get them).

As far as the tranny fitment, I have 2 of 'em sitting in the garage and can maybe get you some basic measurements you can use for now.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
I found info on the kickdown switch. Does the shifter itself have any electronics except for the manual/auto function. I guess what I am asking is this: If I put the trans in gear and have a kickdown switch wired can I drive it in normal auto mode? Allowing that the trans has all of its sensors plugged into the harness and ecu.

suicide kp61

OMFG Im a NOOB!!!
Dec 23, 2009
wv
Does anybody know what wires have to be energized or grounded (if any) in the big aristo plug? Keep in mind I just need to start and run, dont need any gauge or idiot light wiring. I have all of the connections made to the e10 pins on the ecu (ign, bat,mrel,b, b1) and when the harness is powered up it gets power to both the coils and the injectors even though I have not found these mythical black/orange wires that need to be energized for the ignitor. I guess my problem is that I cannot find technical data on the actual harness but rather pin 12 goes to pin 31 ect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Here's what I put together for the Aristo's body plug on the engine harness. Disregard my notes, just understand that it is 4 different SMALL connections, ported into 1 BIG connector/connection. The signals for each pin have been verified to be accurate by other members, so disregard wire colors and focus on the signal/pin for what you need. In most cases, like the black/orange, black/yellow, and black/red wires, they should be common Toyota wire-color-scheme, but may sometimes be different.

http://www.g099521.net/MKIII/2JZ_SWAP/pinout_test.xls