2jz-gte vvti power steering pump solenoid

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
I am doing a 2jz-gte vvti swap into a mk3 supra. The vvti power steering pump has a solenoid attached to it (which isn't found on the non vvti's) which consists of two lines running to the engine and an electrical connection.

The attached picture shows an electrical plug for the solenoid and I'm wondering if there is a place to plug this into and what would happen if I don't. Will I have to convert to a 2jz power steering pump that doesn't have this solenoid in order for it to work witht the mk3? And if that is the case what would I do with the line coming from the solenoid to the engine.

2jzgte vvti PS pump.jpg
2jzgta vvti PS solenoid wire.jpg

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
After doing some more research I found that the solenoid exists for Progressive Power Steering (PPS). The power steering rack on my car does not have PPS. So I'm thinking it's okay to just remove this solenoid and banjo bolt all together and run the driftmotion SS line straight from the pump to the rack. Then loop the vauum lines from the engine back into each other and leave the electrical plug not hooked up. Any thoughts on this?

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
I am in the process of doing the same swap
Getting the wire harness from Tweek
What your suggesting does work, but you lose the idle up feature with the vacum hoses. If that does not bother you, then yes the DM line replacement works 100%

I have PPS rack, and the harness will have a connector for that.

Hope this helps
Steve

oldmansupra

May 2, 2010
Canada
Ahhhh so that is actually a control valve that sets the idle up so you don't stall out when parking. It would bother me to lose that function. What I'll do is take that hardline into a hydraulic shop and get them to fab something up for me that connects that hardline to the power steering rack. That way I can keep the control valve.

My situation is my power steering rack and pinion setup on my 86 supra is non-PPS and the pump on my engine is PPS. I understand why you have to use a PPS pump if your rack is a PPS configuration. Is it okay to use a PPS pump with a non-PPS rack and just leave the electrical connection unplugged is what I now need to find out.

Thanks for your input Steve, nice to hear from another person doing the same swap. We'll have to keep in touch, I'm going to start a build thread after I get everything dropped into the engine and running smoothly.

steve_mk3

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
middletown, NJ
Yes it is ok to just leave the pump disconnected. On my new harness the pump is disconnected.
I am also looking at keeping the idle-up. have heard that a MK4 high pressure hose will work, but have not confirmed that.

Look forward to hearing more about your build

BUZ

Nov 16, 2014
Australia, S.A
Do the VVTi and non VVTi pumps have the same bolt holes/pattern? Don't leave your PPS solenoid disconnected! I did this in my E36 2J swap and the PS was retardedly stiff! As soon as i plugged the connector in (still no PS ECU) the steering got light! I want to swap my PS pump with a no VVTi one, but im unsure if it will bolt up! Are the Banjo bolts the same too? Question, a lot of questions :D
Thanks all!