240z2jzgte lol...horse power questions....

89mkiii18

Sep 28, 2006
st pete
alright im dropping a 2jzgte from a 94 turbo into a 73 240z whats the cheapest/best way to make good horsepower on the 2j without a bottle?

csnow

Matthew 6:33
Apr 5, 2005
Palm Bay, FL
There is no cheap way to make power on a 2J or any other motor for that matter. Fuel, turbo, engine management, intercooler, pipes, and the fabrication to put the motor in is not going to be cheap.

supramanocnsd

Mar 15, 2008
Oceanside Cali SD baby
13psi safe?? umm factory on a 2jz-gte is 10.8psi... boosting a factory USDM set of twins to 20psi is correct for a drag strip.. a street setting would be 14-18psi depending on the GAS and the driver... I have seen many MKIV TT owners like myself run 24psi daily and have had great fun.. it will be ok at 13 .. but better at 17psi...

Oct 2, 2006
Denver
Check this out... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3qOWw2s-QM

I'm looking to build an S30Z myself, but I may keep an L series in it, stroke it and go with a BRE exhaust and a snappy N/A cam... not sure yet. Get some pics of the project! I'd love to see it.

If you're heavy into that car and dropping different mills into it, this is the place to be-

http://www.hybridz.org/

There are LOTS of members there who have done this swap and they would be able to tell you what to look out for.

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
well he said. cheap and if he wants cheap its common sense that he doesnt have the money to replace parts too. so 13 should be fun yet reliable. although 17 PSI is not pushing it too far.

ed.d.

supramanocnsd;960345 said:
13psi safe?? umm factory on a 2jz-gte is 10.8psi... boosting a factory USDM set of twins to 20psi is correct for a drag strip.. a street setting would be 14-18psi depending on the GAS and the driver... I have seen many MKIV TT owners like myself run 24psi daily and have had great fun.. it will be ok at 13 .. but better at 17psi...

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
supramanocnsd;975442 said:
True ed.d

Well he can do the bleader T and other less expensive mods from www.mkiv.com and save some cash but wont beat that many cars if he is looking to be some sort of a street hero.. lol

If he uses the v160, he should be alot faster with BPU mods than a BPU MKIV. The dry weight on a 240z is around 2300lbs. Figure around 2900lbs with a gas, driver, 2jz-gte and a getrag, and figure 350 whp. That puts him in the low 12s high 11s with a good driver.

supramanocnsd

Mar 15, 2008
Oceanside Cali SD baby
ummm I have seen a ton of BPU auto's laying out BPU 6speeds... its about getting the power to the tires and ground...

The light weight would be good.. I just dont like the body style... I am 6'1" and dont fit in Z cars well at all

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
supramanocnsd;977084 said:
ummm I have seen a ton of BPU auto's laying out BPU 6speeds... its about getting the power to the tires and ground...

The light weight would be good.. I just dont like the body style... I am 6'1" and dont fit in Z cars well at all

True, but with the gearing of the Z, you will want the 6 speed. Its around a 3.3. Comparable to driving a MKIV auto with a 6 speed dif.
Does the extra inch make a difference, im 6' and feel like a Z is quite comfortable.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
i dont see how you could get the datsun to weigh 2900 lbs... it comes stock with an inline 6. so replacing it with another inline 6 wouldnt do much... i dont think it would hit more than 2600LBS... given the trubo stuff adds a little weight... but not that much..

and if you were to gut it a little, replace the hood with a CF one and paint it to hide it. im sure you could shed some LBS that way... 240z's are great cars. and there are a lot being made for them. look into arizona z car parts. there stuff is beautiful.

dryweight is 2355lbs according to a wiki article...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S30#Specifications

supramanocnsd

Mar 15, 2008
Oceanside Cali SD baby
foreverpsycotic;977279 said:
True, but with the gearing of the Z, you will want the 6 speed. Its around a 3.3. Comparable to driving a MKIV auto with a 6 speed dif.
Does the extra inch make a difference, im 6' and feel like a Z is quite comfortable.

I would never put a 6speed diff behind the 3040le... the stock auto TT diff has a way higher gear rat...

and yes it does... I have always had issues getting in and out of a Z.. the doors are just not long enough to open to get out without looking like a goofball

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Rennat;978262 said:
i dont see how you could get the datsun to weigh 2900 lbs... it comes stock with an inline 6. so replacing it with another inline 6 wouldnt do much... i dont think it would hit more than 2600LBS... given the trubo stuff adds a little weight... but not that much.

dryweight is 2355lbs according to a wiki article...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_S30#Specifications

Add the driver (around 175lbs) the difference in weight between the l24 and the 2jz-gte, the difference in weight of the v160 vs the stock 4 speed manual, the weight of the oil and coolant and 16gal of gas at 8lbs per gal.

supramanocnsd;978320 said:
I would never put a 6speed diff behind the 3040le... the stock auto TT diff has a way higher gear rat...

That is exactly my point. Unless you go with a custom gear box, the r154 and the MKIV auto would be retardedly long gears.