230 whp hatch

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Okay so, I've never dyno'd my car nor run my car at the track. The only track close to me is over an hour away and it's an 1/8 mile track. The closest dyno to me, I don't trust. I know the shop and everyone who works there but I wouldn't ever let them turn a wrench on my car.

The reason for this thread is that I'm trying to get a feel for where my car stands without doing the above.

I was just cruising along with my wife when this red hatch with chrome/gold rims rolls up beside me. Normally I wouldn't really street race, I'll take off hard from a light to the speed limit but not much more after it but apparently he's been looking for me for awhile. The road ahead was empty and a decently long straight stretch, so he says "Go on 3" and I nod. Now at this point I didn't know what he had but I was curious how my car would stack up against it. So he matches my speed which was 2nd gear at 3500 RPM, right in my sweet spot for torque. Beep, beep, beep and we go for it, started spinning as the car hit full boost at 17 PSI so that gave him a fender lead. I hit 3rd and started pulling him back in while his car is screaming beside mine, at the top of 3rd I had pulled the fender back and gained a fender. I shift into 4th and watch his car slowly start to go by my door, at this point I had never been in such a close race, then I went into 5th just to watch the lead continue to grow so I let out shortly after I hit 5th.

He follows me for about 1/2 mile and I point for him to follow me to a parking lot. After we get into the parking lot and he gets out all excited saying he'd never been in such a close race before. We start chatting about the cars when he says that he's running a LS/vtec with a type r head using ferrea OS valves with skunk2 pro1 cams on a built bottom end running 12.5:1 compression running 9k RPM. He's controlling all of this with a hondata S200 and 93 octane mixed with cam 2. He ran at Sumerduck on Friday and ran a 8.1 in the 1/8 on street tires.

My mods are in my signature.

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I was about to say 8.1 bs but it's an 1/8th of a mile.. I'd say your supra would run low 12's with street tires on a quarter mile and the rwhp wouldn't be over 375. ct26's tend to max out around their, grandavi did a similar build and hes going to a bigger turbo now to meet his expectations.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Beals;1943682 said:
I was about to say 8.1 bs but it's an 1/8th of a mile.. I'd say your supra would run low 12's with street tires on a quarter mile and the rwhp wouldn't be over 375. ct26's tend to max out around their, grandavi did a similar build and hes going to a bigger turbo now to meet his expectations.

That's about what I had figured as well. I figured I'd need about 350-360 rwhp to keep up/out accelerate something that light with that horsepower.

I'm switching out my ct as well, I got a hx35 6 blade sitting on my desk right now. I might be sending it off to DM for the 62mm billet wheel rebuild if sheedy's turns out good.

I could live with my car running low 12's in a 1/4 on streets though, that's a respectable time.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
If he's running 8.1 in the 1/8th on street tires with limited traction then he's probably 12.70's by the 1/4. By how much you took him by 4th I'd say you're easily running 12.50's on street tires. On a good set of ET Streets you'd probably be hitting high 11's. Most street cars running 350-360rwhp are running low 12's to high 11's.

Of course he, or you could be lying. I don't do rice math when it comes to dyno #'s or 1/4 (1/8) mile times. I get out and get facts. Not by what somebody else's supposed e.t.'s, or dyno #'s. Get out and get it done, not guesstimate based on your or somebody else's butt dyno. And stop doing 120mph on public roads before you kill somebody.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Oh I agree, that's why I did it on an empty stretch. I would never do it with traffic around. I do eventually want to take it to the track, I feel the rear end and stock clutch isn't up to it at the moment though. I've ordered a shim kit from weir to fix the rear end though. The clutch won't be swapped until I swap turbos.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
Last time I did something like that with my wife in the car she got pretty mad and told me to make sure my life insurance is up to date and to do it alone haha.