2012 MINI Cooper S Coupé

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
I'm a long time Mini/MINI enthusiast. Back in 2008, I traded in my 2nd new MINI Cooper S for my current daily driver, a Mazdaspeed3. Love the MS3, but I just get automotive wanderlust every few years, and it's time to move on.

Luckily for me, after getting larger (Clubman) & larger (Countryman) with their model lineup, MINI decided to go back to actually being "mini" by introducing the 2-seat "Coupé." When I first saw the concept, I hated the roofline, but it has grown on me. In fact, I did a complete 180, and I kinda dig it now.

So I was among the first to order a new 2012 Coupé. I chose the Cooper S trim (1.6L turbo). Due to the high cost of these models- they ARE overpriced, but this is an emotional decision for me, with logic thrown to the wind- I went pretty minimal with the options. Lightning Blue with a Silver roof, sport stripes, Xenon headlamps, white turn signals, factory alarm, and Harmon Kardon audio upgrade. It's at the port in England waiting for a boat right now. Should look kinda like this, but with 6-spoke rims:

900max_MINI-Coupe-Cooper-SD--R58----Lightning-Blue.jpg

184hp, 35mpg highway, and the main reason I decided to go this route- handling. I love the MS3's power, but I have my 1JZ for when I want hardcore acceleration. In my daily drive, I want handling, and the Coupé appears to have that in spades- even moreso than the MINI hatchback.

The Coupé was built on the already rigidized chassis from the current convertible, then they added cross bracing behind the seats (no need for RSB) and tweaked the suspension. MINI isn't saying exactly what they did to the suspension, but the automotive press say it's a noticeable improvement to handling. Maybe not to ride quality, but my other 2 MINIs were superb handing with rough rides, so I'm used to it.

FYI, there will be a convertible version dubbed "The Roadster" next Spring. I'm just not a ragtop guy. Not for a DD. Had a Miata, loved it, but I could never park that in downtown Tampa where I work the midnight shift & expect to see the roof in one piece for very long.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Congrats, but after thinking about it long and hard, I do not like the lines of that car one bit. :(

I do love the traditional style (any year) Minis, though.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
Yeah, even within the MINI community, this car's appearance is rather polarizing. Folks tend to have strong feeling, whether positive or negative. And that's OK. One thing most people agree on is that it looks a lot better in person.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
As you said, the thing about it that bothers me is the roof line. The rest of the car still looks very Mini-like. I'm not writing it off at all, as I'm sure it'll be a great little car like all the other Minis, I'd have to see one in person before I pass final judgement on style, and drive one before I pass judgement on the car as a whole.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Dingoboy;1761490 said:
One thing most people agree on is that it looks a lot better in person.

One would hope so. ;)

I keed... sounds like a fun car, 184hp in a car that weighs, what... 2500lbs or so? As for the ragtop Miata thing, there was always the hardtop for security's sake. Not to mention they looked better like that, I would have loved to have had one for mine.

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
te72;1761693 said:
One would hope so. ;)

I keed... sounds like a fun car, 184hp in a car that weighs, what... 2500lbs or so? As for the ragtop Miata thing, there was always the hardtop for security's sake. Not to mention they looked better like that, I would have loved to have had one for mine.

My Miata was a '90 with the optional hard top. So yeah, that security was there when I needed it. And I agree they looked far better with the hard top on. But of course, back then the hard top was not retractable, so you had to haul that gigantic turtle shell in & out of the garage to use it.

And to all who don't like the Coupé's looks... I honestly don't blame you. First time I saw the concept, my knee-jerk reaction was "WTFugly!" Sumbitch grew on me, though, and once I saw one in person, it was all over. I suspect I'll end up getting plenty of negative comments to go with the positive once it's on the road, and that's OK. Definitely not everyone's cup of tea, and that's actually part of what I like about it. Almost nobody will look at it & say "Meh, whatever." They'll either think it's gorgeous or hideous- but they'll notice it, and I bet it's a conversation starter in gas stations & parking lots everywhere I take it. (Much like my first MINI was back in 2003, and my '92 1JZ has been, especially since I got the paint & body sorted out recently)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Kinda reminds me of some of the Kei cars I've seen over the years. Toyota Sera (was it a Kei?), Honda Beat, Mazda AZ1, etc... may not exactly be my cup of tea, but I think they'd be a lot of fun, especially in a bigger city. :)

As for your 92, I'm sure that thing is more of a conversation starter due to all the times you've had to say "please stop drooling on my car...". :p