1zz-fe cooling system?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
I'm trying to get some air pockets out of the coolant system in a 2008 corolla. The rad. hose was knocked off by the battery when it shifted to the left (car slid off the road). Anyhow, I can't seem to find a bleeder valve, and I don't think there is one. I've done everything I can think to do (that I would normally do to get air pockets out), but none of that has worked. Does anyone have any tips or advice? The heat doesn't work, so I know there is air trapped in the heater core, and the engine temp rises when the car sits idling.

zombie

Mar 5, 2006
Midland, Perth, WA, Australia
LIS-24610.jpg

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_CAT591_pg2.htm

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
No bleeder.

Squeezed the lower hose a bunch like hondas?
Let it run with cap off?

Maybe try running it with cap on and loosen slowly and carefully as hose thats near the top see if air or water comes out.

Should be pretty standard.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeh, that's what I thought.... for some reason, it's not that easy, lol.... still workin on it. Ill try squeezing the rad hose.... but for some reason coolant does not want to flow through that heater core.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
89jdm7m;1668194 said:
yeh, that's what I thought.... for some reason, it's not that easy, lol.... still workin on it. Ill try squeezing the rad hose.... but for some reason coolant does not want to flow through that heater core.

Do you have the heat turned on full blast when you attempt to burp the car?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
89jdm7m;1668214 said:
I think squeezing the rad hoses dit it, lol. (yes, mario, I did... for some reason it just wouldn't circulate)

That's weird, well if it does it again, I would look into checking the t-stat (hot water method) make sure it isn't fubared.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Generally if I'm going through the "trouble" to remove the t-stat, I'll just replace it. It's cheap anyway. However, it never hurts to test the old one.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeh, the car has low mileage and i wouldn't expect the thermostat to be the issue... but you never know. I got most of the air out of the cooling system.... that was the major issue. I'll havta check it a few more times to make sure it's topped off and free of air pockets.