1jzgte, what kind of gasoline do you use?

legionarius

Oct 29, 2006
houston
The guy I purchased the car from said never put regular unleaded only supreme on my 1jz. So I've been doing it for years, wonder if it just runs better with supreme, or will unleaded really mess up my engine?also what motor oil do you guys recommend?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
I run 93 unleaded fuel only in my supra. The lowest i'd run is 92/91. I would not run 87/89 octane fuel. Unleaded won't mess anything up but leaded will destroy sensors. running regular as long as you are not boosting often or pinging the motor, i would only run that if i was far away fromm home and the gas station only had just reg.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Fuel flown over from Japan, JK. Any performance engine likes to have performance fuel. What ever you have for a premium should work fine.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I run only 93, but there are some gas stations that have no ethanol and is 100% gas. Most of the gas here is 10-20% ethanol.

I used both, but I can't really tell any difference.

My timing is maxed for pump, so 93 is the only thing I'll ever run.

EDIT: until E85 makes it here.......

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
I'd love to run E85, but the closest station is about an hour away. So 93 octane it is.

BTW... if possible, you should run "top tier" fuel. There are apparently a few gas companies that offer better quality fuel than others, and there's a list of them on toptiergas.com. Even toyota recommends it.

Also, try to go to gas stations that are always busy and are kept in good visual condition. Stations that are in the middle of nowhere or are run-down might not sell much 93 octane or might have old holding tanks, so the fuel in their tank could be old and possibly full of water or other crap.

I've never got a bad tank of gas in my life following by this stuff.

honestabe

Happy as hell :D
Jan 15, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA, USA
www.cardomain.com
I always run premium (usually 91-92 octane, depending on where you are). Running any lower octane will fry your motor (I've done it before). The 1JZ is a boosted motor, so running a lower octane will burn faster and cause detonation. And like destrux said, run only top tier gas. I use Shell or Chevron only in my 1J because it's a higher quality gas and I want my motor to last.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Around here gas is gas. Shell, and Chevron, and Samco, and Texaco, etc from highest costing gas station to the lowest... all get gas from the same place. Top tier around here is bullcrap. I think it's bullcrap throughout the nation also. Even though I saw the information supracentral posted about top teir fuels... It's funny when you see a Chevron Samco, and other brands of fuel leaving from the same refinery, off the same lines filling up another gas station (Samco container filling up a CHevron station, then fill up a Samco mart, lol). Our "Exxon" right up the road just swapped the signs over to "MAPCO" and the same tankers are filling it up.

I use gas from a mom and pop, no ethanol gas place now. I just want to help out smaller businesses. One of those places you can imagine with two old fashioned analog pumps with just 87 and 93 available. Gas there is the same as "Chevron" or whatever.

Not sure about how other places do fuels, though. We have one local place where all the fuel is made and stored, and that's what everyone in this area uses from.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
XJ220, pretty much the same story here. I believe one company pretty much has the entire area monopolized, as far as I can tell. Haven't looked into it much, but I tend to stick to the Chevron/Exxon stations, as they have free air if you need it, and are one of the few places around here with 91. Unfortunately, 91's as best as we get here, so that's what my car gets. Haven't had any issues.

To the OP, I've been running Rotella 5-40w synthetic, it's a Shell oil. Good stuff, turbos like it. :)

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
When I looked up toptier fuel places 76 station was on the top of the list, I have been going to 76 station for my supra for 5 years. And some 76 stations also have 100octane:)
Never had a problem!!
My second choice would be chevron.

And oil, German castrol syn, or rotella syn. is a tru synthetic and has all the good stuff for are turbos!!!! That's what I use now insted of German Castro:)

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Anything really.

The toptier stuff is putting out an inaccurate picture, and shouldn't be available to throw people off.

Sunoco is the only real independent provider, but there may be another. It's the only one I've found throughout the years.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
93 octane with a mixture of 50/50 methanol and water at 14psi on up.

I've used royal purple 10-30 for the last five years or so.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Not yet Jeff. I just got my car to crank yesterday after installing the ms3pro. I hope to work on the tune this weekend and then I'll probably haul it over to Hotlanta and get a wot tune. I can't wait to start laying the smack down though.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
I'm jealous, officially. That MS seems like a great value, and so many options.

Hope to see some vids of your car. It always was a beautiful ride!

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Been to 8 different countries in six months, still in Korea. I'd sure like to sit down with you, go over some ideas. Hope to be in your neck of the woods late May.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
91 chevron all day. 91 is the highest here :/

Used to use castrol syn but since oil has steadily kept going up and redline is not much more i started using that prolly about 3-4 years ago. was using the 5w30 but will start using the 5w40. The 5w30 is pretty close to a 5w40 as is tho.